What is the Energy Change for the Formation of 0.39 mol of KI(s)?

• Thread starter parwana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energetics
In summary: It is all about using these energies to bring the given substances to their gaseous phases, and then using the redox reaction given to find the overall energy. Keep in mind about the stoichiometric coefficients too. In summary, the problem is asking for the energy change in kJ for the formation of 0.39 mol of KI(s), given the information about the relevant energy values for the formation and ionization of K and I, as well as the lattice energy for KI. This can be solved by converting solid potassium and iodine to their gaseous states, using the redox reaction to form KI, and then subtracting the lattice energy from the overall energy calculation. It is important to keep in mind
parwana
last question

Calculate the energy change for the formation in kJ of 0.39 mol of KI(s)
given the following information: I2(s) --> I2(g) : 62.44 KJ/mol

K(s) --> K(g) : 180.4 KJ/mol

1/2 I2(g) -->I(g) : 138.05 KJ/mol

K+(g) + e- --> K(g) : -419 KJ/mol

I-(g) --> I(g) + e- : 295.16 KJ/mol

Lattice energy for KI = -649 KJ/mol

E= E(vaporization)+IE+1/2bond energy+EA+lattice energy

how would i do this, should i just add everything up?? but then what about the .39 mol??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First, do the necessary redox chemistry:

2K --> 2K+ + 2e-
I2 + 2e- --> 2I-

2K + I2 --> 2KI

Just add the necessary numbers; but if you multiply any reaction with a number, don't forget to multiply the value with it, too.

And note that the reaction I mentioned can only become in the gaseous phase, so you'll need to use their gas-phase-transition energies given already.

About .39 moles, just multiply the value given for 1.00 moles with .39 to learn how much energy is released (or required) for this amount.

ok thanks, but can u set the numbers up, this is highly new to me

1) Convert solid potassium to the gaseous one (requires E1)
2) Convert solid iodine to gaseous iodine with noticing its mole ratio (requires E2)
3) Use these data in the redox reaction I posted in my previous thread (requires E3; but one released and one required energies are present here)
4) Subtract the lattice energy from the total you found from 1-3 (releases E4); it is worth noting that the 0.39 moles are to be used here.
5) Relax, as you've solved the problem :wink:

i still don't understand how u convert solid potassium to the gaseous state?? I haven't done this yet in class, but for some reason they give us h.w. in advance. Would it be too much if u could solve the problem and explain how u did it??

Gasesous state...to become their ions; how is solid K supposed to lose an electron when its bonded strongly (and thus a solid) each other?

Dear Parwana,

It is better for you to try to solve the problem by yourself. Please review what you have in hand; there are some energies given which will be used to bring solid potassium to the gaseous one, and ionize it; and also some for sublime iodine and ionize. Just find them and calculate the overall energy for one mol; and as you have less then one mol, multiply the value with the one you have.

1. What is the definition of "Energetics of Compounds 2"?

The term "Energetics of Compounds 2" refers to the study of the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions involving compounds.

2. How is the energy of a compound determined?

The energy of a compound is determined by calculating the difference between the energy of its reactants and the energy of its products, also known as the enthalpy change.

3. What factors can affect the energetics of a compound?

The energetics of a compound can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products.

4. What is the role of thermodynamics in understanding the energetics of compounds?

Thermodynamics is a branch of science that deals with energy and its transformation. It is essential in understanding the energetics of compounds as it helps to predict the direction and extent of a chemical reaction based on the energy changes involved.

5. How does the energetics of compounds impact our daily lives?

The energetics of compounds play a crucial role in various aspects of our daily lives, from the production of energy in power plants to the metabolism of food in our bodies. Understanding the energetics of compounds also allows us to develop more efficient and sustainable processes in industries such as pharmaceuticals and agriculture.