Rate of reactions vs. HEat energy evolves per second inititally

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction between nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide, with a second order rate in NO2 and zero order in CO. The rate constant is given as 0.515 L/(mol*s) and the enthalpy change for NO2 is 33.1 kJ/mol. The question posed is how much heat energy would be evolved per second initially from a reaction mixture containing 3.50 L and 0.0250 M NO2. The rate law is determined to be k[NO2]^2, and it is unclear how the concentration, volume, and rate constant are related to find the heat energy. The conversation also includes further questions about the amount of energy evolved for different amounts of NO
yannguyen
Nitrogen dioxide reacts with carbon monoxide by the overall equation:

NO2(g) + CO(g) ----> NO(g)+ CO2(g)

At a particular temperature, the reaction is second order In NO2 and zero order in CO. The rate constant is 0.515 L/(mol*s). How much heat energy evolves per second initially from 3.50 L of reaction mixture containing .0250 M NO2?

Assume the enthalpy change is constant with temperature.How much heat energy evolves per second initially from 3.50 L of reaction mixture containing .0250 M NO2?

I figured out the rate law for this = k[NO2]^2
The enthalpy change for NO2 is 33.1 kJ/mol
However I don't really understand how the concentration, the volume, and the rate constant would relate to find out the heat energy?

Should i find the number of moles of NO2 or what should I do? I totally have no idea about this!

Any help would be highly appreciate

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How much energy would evolve during a second if there were 1 mole of NO2 produced per second? And if there were 0.5 mole produced? And if there were n moles produced?

1. What is the relationship between rate of reactions and heat energy evolved per second initially?

The rate of a reaction is directly proportional to the amount of heat energy evolved per second initially. This means that as the rate of a reaction increases, so does the amount of heat energy evolved per second initially.

2. How does temperature affect the rate of a reaction?

An increase in temperature usually leads to an increase in the rate of a reaction. This is because higher temperatures provide more kinetic energy to the reactant molecules, causing them to collide more frequently and with greater force, resulting in a higher rate of reaction.

3. Can the rate of a reaction be controlled by adjusting the amount of heat energy evolved per second initially?

Yes, the rate of a reaction can be controlled by adjusting the amount of heat energy evolved per second initially. By increasing or decreasing the heat energy input, the rate of the reaction can be sped up or slowed down, respectively.

4. Is there a limit to how much heat energy can be evolved per second initially in a reaction?

Yes, there is a limit to how much heat energy can be evolved per second initially in a reaction. This is known as the maximum rate, and it is determined by the reactants and their concentrations, as well as the temperature and other environmental factors.

5. How does the rate of a reaction change over time as heat energy is evolved?

The rate of a reaction typically decreases over time as heat energy is evolved. This is because as the reaction progresses, the concentration of reactants decreases, resulting in fewer collisions and a slower rate of reaction. However, the rate may increase again if the temperature is maintained or increased.