Finding Equations of Tangents and Intersection Points for y=(2x-1)(x+1)

• Thread starter emmab
  • Start date
In summary, to find the equations of the tangents to the curve y=(2x-1)(x+1) at the points where the curve cuts the x axis, you can either first find the tangent equation using differentiation and then find the points of intersection, or you can find the x-values where the curve crosses the x-axis and then find the derivative at those values of x. Both methods will yield the same result.
emmab
additional maths help please!

My minds gone blank. How do I solve this
Find the equations of the tangents to the curve y=(2x-1)(x+1) at the points where the curve cuts the x axis. Find the point of intersection of these tangents.
Thanks
Emmab

Physics news on Phys.org

First find the tangent equation using differentiation, then find the points where the curve cuts the x-axis and plug in.

I would be inclined to do it the other way around! First find the x-values where the curve crosses the x-axis (y= 0 there), then find the derivative at those values of x. No real difference, of course.

What is additional math and why do I need help with it?

Additional math, also known as advanced math or supplemental math, is a subject that covers more complex mathematical concepts beyond the standard math curriculum. It is often required for students who are pursuing higher education in fields like engineering, physics, or economics. If you are having trouble understanding additional math concepts, seeking help can ensure better understanding and success in your studies.

What are some common topics covered in additional math?

Additional math covers a wide range of topics, such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. It also includes more advanced concepts like logarithms, exponents, and matrices.

What are some strategies for improving my understanding of additional math?

Some strategies for improving your understanding of additional math include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking down complex problems into smaller steps, and using visual aids like diagrams or graphs to better understand the concepts.

Are there any online resources or tools that can help with additional math?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help with additional math. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Mathway, and WolframAlpha. These websites offer tutorials, practice problems, and step-by-step solutions to help you improve your understanding of additional math.

What are some real-world applications of additional math?

Additional math has many real-world applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and science. It is used to solve complex problems and make predictions based on data. For example, calculus is used in physics to understand how objects move and statistics is used in business to analyze market trends.