Calculate PL/4 & Understand Eurocodes - Help Needed

• Thread starter GeezyT
  • Start date
In summary, a) You need to use a different formula for a distributed load, b) You should calculate the reactions, VED and MED for a point load using the eurocode, and c) you need a book like "Structural elements design manual" to understand the ECs.
GeezyT
for a) I've got 1950kn/m as a formula off google said to calculate its PL/4? i can't tell if the 7800 is the load of length?!?

and I'm just stumped on b) full stop...

is anyone familar with eurocodes??

Attachments

• question01.pdf
    42.9 KB · Views: 182
Physics news on Phys.org
7800 looks like the span in mm.
360 looks like the thickness of the deck in mm
You need to do the section on actions before attempting the MED and VED.
PL/4 is the central moment for a point load, but you have a distributed load, which has a different formula.

sections on actions?
i'm a newbie to this stuff.

I've just read your message again. For (a), you can't have units of kN/m because moment is force x distance. Also you do not know the width of the walkway, and so will have to consider a 1 m width. A way to start is to assume a concrete deck which eurocode gives as 25 kN/m3 for reinforced concrete. You should then be able to add up the characteristic loads (self-weight + screed + finishes). Then you will be able to apply code safety factors. Then Calculate Reactions, VED and finally MED. Hope that gives you a direction.

Thanks!

If you are "new to this stuff", I suggest you invest in a book such as "Structural elements design manual" by Trevor Draycott and Peter Bullman. Or a similar text by Arya. There are no short cuts without knowing more about your situation.

honestly i haven't got the time to read the book. i have 3 more questions to figure the answers out to by this time tomorrow. but i will bear that in mind. thanks again for the help.

any idea where to start with these?

Attachments

• question02.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 140
  • question03.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 150
  • question04.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 161
This is all pretty standard design of elements. Much of it can be answered by referring to the eurocodes themselves (or to the students' extracts published by BSI), but this is not easy if it is new to you. The codes were not written for learning purposes. That's why you need access to a good basic textbook. My students do this kind of work over a solid 4-day period with access to books and tutorial help. If you are preparing it for tomorrow, I suggest you concentrate on Qu1. Although the other questions are different, aquaintance with EC2 will make it easier.

1. What is PL/4 and how is it calculated?

PL/4 stands for "partial load factor 4" and is used in the Eurocodes for determining the maximum load that a structure can safely withstand. It is calculated by dividing the characteristic load by the partial factor for that specific load case.

2. Why is it important to understand Eurocodes when calculating PL/4?

Eurocodes are a set of European standards that ensure the safety and reliability of structures. They provide guidelines and regulations for engineers and scientists to follow when designing and constructing buildings and other structures. Understanding Eurocodes is crucial for accurately calculating PL/4 and ensuring the structural integrity of a project.

3. How do I determine the characteristic load for a structure?

The characteristic load is the maximum load that a structure is expected to experience during its lifetime. It can be determined by analyzing the type of structure, its location, and the potential loads it may encounter, such as wind, snow, or live loads. It is important to consult the Eurocodes for specific guidelines on calculating characteristic loads.

4. Can PL/4 be applied to all types of structures?

PL/4 is intended for use in the design of buildings and civil engineering works. It may not be applicable to all types of structures, such as bridges or industrial facilities. It is important to consult the relevant Eurocodes and seek professional advice when calculating PL/4 for a specific type of structure.

5. How can I ensure that my PL/4 calculations are accurate?

To ensure accuracy in PL/4 calculations, it is important to carefully follow the guidelines and procedures outlined in the Eurocodes. Additionally, it is recommended to use advanced software and tools specifically designed for structural analysis and design. Seeking the advice of experienced professionals and conducting thorough quality checks can also help ensure accurate PL/4 calculations.