Is it possible to clone RFID cards with basic hardware?

• Thread starter Robcheese101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rfid
In summary, a first year computing student is looking for a project to work on besides programming and has become interested in RFID technology. They want to build a software that can clone RFID cards and are looking for the necessary hardware. However, this project seems to be crossing the line into illegal activities and it is suggested for the student to approach a professor for help. The thread has been closed.
Robcheese101
I'm a first year computing student and have just finished this years exams. I tend to get a little bored in my free times and so have looked towards a sort of project besides programming.

I've seen RFID is staging a take over of wireless technology and seen in the news it's been implanted for uses on doors and mobiles. I've also seen on line that it can be simply manipulated with some basic build yourself hardware.

I was planning on attempting to build some sort of software where a card is placed near a scanner and the code it contains/broadcasts is copied and then can be cloned onto a second card.

What hardware would i need, i know I'd need some sort of reader/antenna to copy the cards content and then a re-writer, would anyone know where to get this hardware (ebay included) and what specifically i would need ?

If it seems at what I'm attempting is a little difficult just say and I'll move onto something else, but i know it's been done and there countless you tube videos back dating to 2008 with some simple hardware being used.
If

Computer science news on Phys.org
Robcheese101 said:
I'm a first year computing student and have just finished this years exams. I tend to get a little bored in my free times and so have looked towards a sort of project besides programming.

I've seen RFID is staging a take over of wireless technology and seen in the news it's been implanted for uses on doors and mobiles. I've also seen on line that it can be simply manipulated with some basic build yourself hardware.

I was planning on attempting to build some sort of software where a card is placed near a scanner and the code it contains/broadcasts is copied and then can be cloned onto a second card.

What hardware would i need, i know I'd need some sort of reader/antenna to copy the cards content and then a re-writer, would anyone know where to get this hardware (ebay included) and what specifically i would need ?

If it seems at what I'm attempting is a little difficult just say and I'll move onto something else, but i know it's been done and there countless you tube videos back dating to 2008 with some simple hardware being used.
If

This is a little too close to the PF rule about illegal activities. If you have a valid interest in learning more about RFID, I'd suggest you approach one of your professors to see if they would be interested in helping you with a project.

Thread closed.

1. What is RFID cloning?

RFID cloning is the process of copying or duplicating the information stored on an RFID tag. This allows for unauthorized individuals to gain access to restricted areas or information.

2. How does RFID cloning work?

RFID cloning involves using a device called an RFID reader/writer to intercept and copy the information from an RFID tag. This information can then be transferred to a blank RFID tag, creating an exact duplicate of the original tag.

3. What are the risks of RFID cloning?

The main risk of RFID cloning is unauthorized access to secure areas or information. Cloned RFID tags can also be used to bypass security measures, such as keycard access systems, leading to security breaches.

4. How can RFID cloning be prevented?

There are several measures that can be taken to prevent RFID cloning. One option is to use encrypted RFID tags, which make it more difficult for the information to be intercepted and copied. Another option is to use RFID jamming, which disrupts the communication between the RFID tag and reader, making cloning more difficult.

5. Is RFID cloning illegal?

The legality of RFID cloning varies by country and jurisdiction. In some places, it is considered a form of identity theft and is punishable by law. It is important to check with local laws and regulations before attempting to clone RFID tags.