Understanding Summation: S_X and S^2_X

• Thread starter Ted123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary: X_i^2- \frac{1}{n}\left( \sum X_i\right)^2In summary, the equation \displaystyle S^2_X = \sum^n_{i=1} (X_i - \overline{X})^2 means that the sample variance is equal to the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, divided by n-1. This is a special case in which S_X is defined as the sample standard deviation, but it is not true that \sqrt{\sum X_i^2} = \sum X_i in general. The correct equation is \displaystyle S_X = \sqrt{\sum^n_{i=1} (X_i
Ted123
Does

[itex]\displaystyle S^2_X = \sum^n_{i=1} (X_i - \overline{X})^2[/itex]

mean

[itex]\displaystyle S_X = \sum^n_{i=1} (X_i - \overline{X})[/itex] (X is a random variable here)

and is this true of summations in general?

i.e. does [itex]\sqrt{\sum X_i^2} = \sum X_i[/itex] ?

I thought it'd be [itex]\sqrt{\left( \sum X_i\right) ^2} = \sum X_i[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
NO, this is NOT true at all. It is NOT true that [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+b^2[/tex], which is basically what you're claiming...

Try a simple case with numbers. Does sqrt(a2+b2) = a + b? Put some numbers in and see what you think.

So this is just a special case where [itex]S_X[/itex] is defined to be the sample standard deviation and [itex]S_X^2[/itex] is the sample variance?

[itex]\displaystyle S_X = \sqrt{\sum^n_{i=1} (X_i - \overline{X})^2}\neq \sum^n_{i=1} (X_i - \overline{X})[/itex]

And I also have the feeling that you have to divide by n-1...

So

[tex]S_X^2=\frac{1}{n-1}\sum_{i=1}^n{(X_i-\overline{X})^2}[/tex]

You can do this:
[tex]\sum (X_i- \overline{X})^2= \sum (X_i^2- 2\overline{X}X_i+ \overline{X}^2)[/tex]
[tex]\sum X_i^2- 2\overline{X}\sum X_i+ \sum \overline X[/tex]

Now, here,
[tex]\overline{X}= \frac{1}{n}\sum X_i[/tex]
and, of course, since [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] is a constant,
[tex]\sum \overline{X}= \overline{X}\sum 1= n\overline{X}[/tex]

so
[tex]\sum (X_i- \overline{X})^2= \sum X_i^2- 2n \overline{X}^2+ n\overline{X}^2[/tex]
[tex]= \sum X_i^2- n\overline{X}^2[/tex]

Related to Understanding Summation: S_X and S^2_X

1. What is SX in summation?

SX is the symbol used to represent the sum of a set of values. It is often used in statistics and mathematics to show the total value of a group of numbers.

2. How is SX calculated?

SX is calculated by adding all the values in a given set. For example, if you have the numbers 1, 2, 3, the sum would be 6 (1+2+3=6). In mathematical notation, it would be written as SX = 1+2+3 = 6.

3. What does S2X represent?

S2X represents the sum of squares of a set of values. This is often used in statistics to calculate the variance of a data set.

4. How is S2X calculated?

S2X is calculated by squaring each value in a set, adding them together, and then subtracting the square of the sum of the set. In mathematical notation, it would be written as S2X = (12 + 22 + 32) - (1+2+3)2 = (1+4+9) - 36 = 14.

5. Why is understanding SX and S2X important?

Understanding SX and S2X is important in statistics and data analysis to calculate measures of central tendency and variability, such as the mean and standard deviation. These measures can provide important insights and help make informed decisions based on the data.