Urr, this doesn't seem like it should be very hard but well, good 'ol me

• Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the fraction of visible light on a linear scale is 1 percent, while the fraction on a logarithmic scale is 2 percent.
schattenjaeger
For this problem assume the "EM spectrum of astrophysical relevance" is between 1m and 10^-3nm. Calculate the fraction of the visible light by assuming a) a linear scale and b)a logarithmic scale. Explain the difference..

hur? I'm guessing this is one of those math skills I've either blanked on or never knew but should've, but as far as calculating the fraction goes I can only think to like divide the range of visible light(which is like 3 x 10^-7, right?)by the total range, which would be, pretty much, 1? (1-10^-12 to be exact)and then I spose that'd be pretty linear, or whatever.

So assuming that out of my ass speculation is right, I still don't know what to do with a logarithmic scale. I could take the log of that 3x10^-7 but that's a negative answer. I could piddle with the units so it wasn't negative, but that seems awfully...wrong. So primarily my question is a "what the hell am I doing?" problem.

And one quickie, it wants me to derive Wien's displacement law by setting (we'll make y be my lambda) dB/dy=0, where B is that 2hc^2etc./e^hc/kt -1 with the formatting kept poor just so you get the point. The problem only wants us to work it out to where we get something only solvable by numerical methods, then stop, so if I take the derivative of that and set it equal to 0, my next stop would be to solve for lambda*T, I guess, and it'd equal what it equals in the actual formula, would that be the step to stop at?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hur? I'm guessing this is one of those math skills I've either blanked on or never knew but should've, but as far as calculating the fraction goes I can only think to like divide the range of visible light(which is like 3 x 10^-7, right?)by the total range, which would be, pretty much, 1? (1-10^-12 to be exact)and then I spose that'd be pretty linear, or whatever.

Yep.

So assuming that out of my ass speculation is right, I still don't know what to do with a logarithmic scale. I could take the log of that 3x10^-7 but that's a negative answer.

The logarithm of a number less than one is negative -- this is perfectly alright. Imagine I express the entire range of wavelengths in "log meter" units, meaning, for example, 1 cm is expressed as "-2" and 10-7 m is "-7". In this unit system, what is the range spanned by visible light? What is the range of the EM spectrum mentioned in the question?

And one quickie, it wants me to derive Wien's displacement law by setting (we'll make y be my lambda) dB/dy=0, where B is that 2hc^2etc./e^hc/kt -1 with the formatting kept poor just so you get the point. The problem only wants us to work it out to where we get something only solvable by numerical methods, then stop, so if I take the derivative of that and set it equal to 0, my next stop would be to solve for lambda*T, I guess, and it'd equal what it equals in the actual formula, would that be the step to stop at?

Give it a try and see what you get. I suspect you won't be able to solve for [itex]\lambda T[/itex] or it wouldn't need to be done numerically.

Ah, ok, thanks!

So doing it like that for the logarithmic scale I got like 2 percent which sounds decent enough, as for the linear scale, since the length of the whole thing is just 1meter(unless I want to be just THAT accurate)is the percent 3x10^-5?(3x10^-7 *100 percent)?

schattenjaeger said:
So doing it like that for the logarithmic scale I got like 2 percent which sounds decent enough, as for the linear scale, since the length of the whole thing is just 1meter(unless I want to be just THAT accurate)is the percent 3x10^-5?(3x10^-7 *100 percent)?

Sounds good.

1. What is the meaning of "Urr, this doesn't seem like it should be very hard but well, good 'ol me"?

This phrase is often used to express frustration and surprise when a task or problem that seems simple turns out to be more challenging than expected. It can also be used as a self-deprecating way to acknowledge one's own limitations or mistakes.

2. How can I approach difficult tasks with a more positive mindset?

One helpful strategy is to break the task down into smaller, more manageable steps. This can make it feel less overwhelming and help you focus on one step at a time. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of past successes and strengths, and to practice positive self-talk.

3. Why do some tasks seem easy for others but difficult for me?

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and what may come easily to one person may be challenging for another. It's important to remember that our abilities and skills can be developed and improved with practice and perseverance.

4. How can I overcome feelings of frustration and self-doubt when facing a difficult task?

One approach is to reframe your thinking and focus on the potential for growth and learning rather than the immediate outcome. It can also be helpful to seek support and guidance from others, and to celebrate small successes along the way.

5. Can difficult tasks be beneficial in the long run?

Yes, tackling difficult tasks can help us develop important skills such as problem-solving, resilience, and perseverance. These skills can not only help us overcome current challenges, but also prepare us for future ones. Difficult tasks can also lead to a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction once they are successfully completed.