Build an Affordable 7-Segment Timer Circuit

In summary: You can use a transistor and an LED as a blinking LED timer. Just connect the transistor as shown in the diagram and the LED as shown. The transistor will turn on and off with the frequency of the LED.
circuit man
Help!

I need to make an adjustable timer circuit with 7-Segment Display Readout for a science project.

Please help..

I don't also want to spend a lot of money on this, so please tell the parts and circuit diagram I need.

Thanks in advance.

-Circuit Man

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry if this appears twice - I had replied but it dissapeared

You need a couple of other chips as well as the timer, a BCD counter (7490) and an LED driver IC (7447)
There should be lots of 555 timer examples on google or in the library.

Thanks,

I was looking at the Omron H5cx digital timer, and wanted to make something like that without having to buy the whole thing.

How long do you want to time and how accurately.
A 555 is great for timing a few seconds to minutes but if you need to accurately time hours or days the temperature tolerances on something like a 555 will be a problem. It would be better to use a dedicated timing chip and a micro.

ps Here is a good example page for the 555
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

I need very accurate timing for tenths to 100ths, 1000ths, or maybe even 10000ths of a second.

I would find an off the shelf timing chip, either a frequency counter or time-digital-converter.
The long term stability is the more difficult thing to acheive, it is very easy to time 0.1ms intervals upto 1sec but if you needed to time something lasting hours you have to consider the temperature stability of the components. An off the shelf timing chip will have temperature corrections built-in, a 555 timer would depend on the behaviour of all the external components.

Look for a book called "The art of electronics" in your library it is a very good introduction to this sort of electronics.

Thanks again,

but, what off the shelf product would be the best?

I think crystal oscillators are typically used when you need something more accurate than a 555 timer.

How do you use those?

You can get crystal oscillators of different frequencies. Choose the one which you want and it will be the external clock to your circuit.

Could I also do it with some transistors, capacitors, resistors, and leds. Just for blinking

Thanks,
Circuit Man

What is a 7-segment timer circuit?

A 7-segment timer circuit is an electronic circuit that uses seven LED segments to display numbers and count down or count up in a specific interval of time. It is commonly used in digital clocks, kitchen timers, and other applications that require precise timing.

What are the benefits of building an affordable 7-segment timer circuit?

Building an affordable 7-segment timer circuit can save money compared to purchasing a pre-made one. It also allows for customization and learning about electronics and circuitry.

What materials are needed to build an affordable 7-segment timer circuit?

The materials needed may vary depending on the design, but typically include a breadboard, 7-segment display, resistors, capacitors, transistors, and a microcontroller or timer IC. A power source and wires are also necessary.

What are the basic steps for building an affordable 7-segment timer circuit?

The basic steps for building an affordable 7-segment timer circuit include designing the circuit, gathering materials, assembling the circuit on a breadboard, programming the microcontroller or timer IC, and testing the circuit for functionality and accuracy.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when building an affordable 7-segment timer circuit?

Yes, it is important to use caution when handling electronic components and to follow proper wiring and circuit design techniques. It is also recommended to use a power source with appropriate voltage and current ratings to avoid damaging the circuit. Always disconnect the power source before making any changes to the circuit.