Calculating air resistance on air

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in calculating the decrease in wind velocity over a given distance, taking into consideration air resistance and the oscillating nature of the object. They are unsure of how to apply the formula for air resistance and are looking for guidance on how to incorporate the concept of length in the equation. They also mention that the equation provided may not be relevant for air, as it is typically used for solid objects moving through air. They acknowledge that this is a complex problem and are open to input from others who may be more knowledgeable in fluid dynamics.
E.L
Fluid Dynamics - Calculating air resistance on air

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out how much the velocity of wind will decrease by over a given distance. I know the velocity at a point 1cm after it has passed over an object, and i need to determine the velocity at the object. The flow is turbulent and the object is oscillating.

Homework Equations

I know the formula for air resistance is F=1/2"rho"v^2*C*L^2, where rho is the density, v is the relative velocity, c is the coefficient of drag and L is the length.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do when the question concerns air resistance acting on air. I do not know how to treat length in the equation, as I don't understand how air can have a length. I also do not understand how to find the coefficient of drag on air.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that equation applies. As far as I know it's only relevant for solid objects moving through air (by the way, in the general form it's F = ρCAv^2/2, where A is cross-sectional area presented to the air).

What you're trying to calculate is like a fluid dynamics problem, and although I'm not familiar with much fluid dynamics myself, it seems fairly complex. Maybe someone else will know of a relevant equation.

Related to Calculating air resistance on air

1. How is air resistance calculated on an object?

The air resistance on an object is calculated by multiplying the air density by the object's surface area, its velocity squared, and a drag coefficient specific to the shape of the object. This equation is known as the drag equation: F = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd

2. What factors affect air resistance on an object?

The factors that affect air resistance on an object include its size, shape, speed, and air density. Objects with larger surface areas, more streamlined shapes, higher speeds, and denser air will experience greater air resistance.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. As the object moves faster, the air resistance increases, eventually balancing out with the force of gravity to reach a state of equilibrium known as terminal velocity.

4. Can air resistance be reduced or eliminated?

Air resistance can be reduced by minimizing the surface area of an object, using a more streamlined shape, and decreasing its speed. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as long as the object is moving through air.

5. How is air resistance used in designing objects?

Air resistance is an important factor in the design of vehicles, buildings, and other structures. It helps engineers determine the optimal shape and size of an object to reduce drag and improve efficiency. It is also taken into account when designing parachutes, airplanes, and other objects that rely on air resistance for their function.