Error Estimation for Simpsons Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding the error estimation for the integral of (1+x^2)^(1/4) with limits [0, 2] for n=8 using Simpson's Method. The error estimation formula is \epsilon\leq\frac{|f^{(4)}_{max}(x)|(b-a)^5}{180n^4} and the conversation includes a discussion on how to find the maximum of the fourth derivative. The individual is trying to troubleshoot their calculations and determine where they made a mistake in their third derivative.

Homework Statement

Find the error estimation for the integral [tex]\int(1+x^2)^\frac{1}{4}[/tex] with limits [tex][0, 2][/tex] for [tex]n=8[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon\leq \frac{|f^{(4)}_{max}(x)|(b-a)^5}{180n^4}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The tricky part about this problem is finding [tex]f^{(4)}_{max}(x)[/tex]:

[tex]f(x)=(1+x^2)^\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{4}(1+x^2)^\frac{-3}{4}*2x

=\frac{1}{2}x(1+x^2)^\frac{-3}{4}[/tex]

[tex]f''(x)=(\frac{1}{2}x*\frac{-3}{4}(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}*2x)+((1+x^2)^\frac{-3}{4}*\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2} [\frac{-6}{4}x^2(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}+(1+x^2)^\frac{-3}{4}][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2} [\frac{-3}{2}x^2(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}+(1+x^2)^\frac{-3}{4}][/tex]

[tex]f'''(x)=\frac{1}{2} [(\frac{-3}{2}x^2*\frac{-7}{4}(1+x^2)^\frac{-11}{4}*2x)+((1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}*\frac{-6}{2}x)+(\frac{-3}{4}(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}*2x)][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2} [\frac{42}{8}x^3(1+x^2)^\frac{-11}{4}-\frac{6}{2}x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}-\frac{6}{4}x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2} [\frac{21}{4}x^3(1+x^2)^\frac{-11}{4}-3x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}-\frac{3}{2}x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{3}{2} [\frac{7}{4}x^3(1+x^2)^\frac{-11}{4}-x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}-\frac{1}{2}x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{2} [\frac{7}{2}x^3(1+x^2)^\frac{-11}{4}-3x(1+x^2)^\frac{-7}{4}][/tex]

I entered the derivatives I calculated along with the derivatives taken from an online derivative calculator into my graphing calculator to make sure I was coming out with the right answer. It appears I've made a mistake with the 3rd derivative but I can't find the error. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like I made a mistake, the error estimation formula for Simpson's Method is:

[tex]\epsilon\leq\frac{|f^{(4)}_{max}(x)|(b-a)^5}{180n^4}[/tex]

So I'm trying to find the maximum of the fourth derivative. However, I still can't find the error in my third deriv.

What is the Simpsons Method?

The Simpsons Method is a numerical integration technique used to approximate the area under a curve. It is based on dividing the area into smaller sections and using a polynomial function to estimate the area within each section.

How is the Simpsons Method different from other numerical integration techniques?

The Simpsons Method uses a quadratic polynomial function to estimate the area under the curve, while other methods like the Trapezoidal Rule use a linear function. This makes the Simpsons Method more accurate for curved or non-linear functions.

Why is error estimation important for the Simpsons Method?

Error estimation helps to determine the accuracy of the Simpson's Method approximation. It allows us to know how close the estimated value is to the actual value and helps to determine the number of intervals needed for a desired level of accuracy.

How is error estimation calculated for the Simpsons Method?

Error estimation for the Simpsons Method is calculated by finding the difference between the actual value of the integral and the estimated value using the method. This difference is then divided by the actual value and multiplied by 100 to get the percentage error.

What are some common sources of error in the Simpsons Method?

Some common sources of error in the Simpsons Method include using too few intervals, leading to an underestimate of the area, or using a function that is not well-approximated by a quadratic polynomial. Human error in inputting values or rounding errors can also contribute to error in the method.