Understanding Diode Display on a C.R.O.

• Thread starter QueenFisher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of drawing a c.r.o. display for a diode and the different characteristics involved. They mention the use of a curve tracer and the importance of bias for the diode to start conducting. They also touch on the forward voltage drop and how it varies depending on the type of diode.
QueenFisher
i have to draw the c.r.o. display for a diode, is it just the same as for an a.c. input but with the parts that were below the x-axis, intead reflected in the x-axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite follow you.. Are you supplying AC to a diode (and hopefully a load resistor) and looking at the time varying characteristics of voltage on a scope? Or are you interested in the voltage versus current charateristics of the diode which can be measured with a curve tracer? (See second to last row for diode examples)

i assume that i have a circuit with a diode in it, connected to a c.r.o., and i have to draw the voltage/time shape that it would produce. e.g. for mains ac you would get a sinusoidal wave form - that's the kind of setting I'm on.

What is a c.r.o. ?

The signal will be clipped on one side, this is actually when the diode is conducting - it's resistance is low. In the attachment the zero voltage level is the dotted line.

Last edited:
Integral said:
What is a c.r.o. ?
c.r.o. - cathode ray oscilloscope

andrevdh that's right, only one half of the cycle would be displayed, the other half is clipped. (though on yours, it appears, there was a negative dc bias applied as well).
QueenFisher, can you guess what a diode in this configuration, is also called?

Last edited:
What I am try to indicate is that the diode needs a bit of bias (depending on the type of diode) before it starts to conduct. It does not conduct straight away.

andrevdh said:
What I am try to indicate is that the diode needs a bit of bias (depending on the type of diode) before it starts to conduct. It does not conduct straight away.
Why is it a negative DC bias? What are some example magnitudes for turn-on voltage of a diode (Ge, Si, PIN) ?

It just depends on which way round you connect the diode or the oscilloscope in the circuit. I could just as well have drawn the mirror image of the diagram. The forward voltage drop is usually of the order of 1 volt (0.6 for silicon diodes).

yeah it depends really

What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It has two terminals, an anode and a cathode, and is typically made of a semiconductor material such as silicon.

How does a diode work?

A diode works by using a semiconductor material with two different types of doping, creating a depletion region between them. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the depletion region becomes smaller and current can flow through the diode. In the reverse direction, the depletion region becomes larger and current cannot flow.

What is a cathode ray oscilloscope (CRO)?

A cathode ray oscilloscope, or CRO, is a test instrument used to display and analyze electrical signals. It works by using an electron beam to create a visual representation of the signal on a screen, similar to a television.

What are some common uses for diodes?

Diodes are commonly used in electronic circuits for rectification, voltage regulation, and signal demodulation. They are also used in power supplies, solar cells, and light emitting diodes (LEDs).

How is a CRO used in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, a CRO is used to measure and analyze electrical signals from various sources. It can be used to troubleshoot electronic circuits, test the performance of electronic components, and measure signal characteristics such as amplitude, frequency, and phase.