IMMEDIATE weight loss after birth

by Smfarnsworth
Tags: birth, loss, pregnacy, weight
Share this thread:
Smfarnsworth
Mar15-14, 08:26 PM
P: 2
Hi,

In a similar vein to the weight of flying birds in a sealed van etc.

Let's say a woman weighs exactly 10 stones 7 pounds on the morning she is due to give birth. She starts to dilate etc. and heads to hospital. She gives birth to a beautiful baby girl weighing in at exactly 7 pounds. Seconds after doing so the woman leaps off the bed and weighs herself again. Will she weight 10 stones or 10 stones 7 pounds - and why?

Obviously if she now only weighs 10 stones I can work that one out!

This is causing much heated debate in our household so your insight would be appreciated (unless I'm proved wrong)

Cheers

Stephen
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Classes aim to hook US blacks on African foods
Nigeria death shows Ebola can spread by air travel
Trial in salmonella outbreak to start in Georgia
Bandersnatch
Mar15-14, 09:07 PM
P: 690
Hi Stephen

She will weigh 10 stones for the same reason that a ten stone woman with a seven pound brick will weigh 10 stones after she drops the brick.
Evo
Mar15-14, 09:36 PM
Mentor
P: 26,444
I weighed 142 pounds when I gave birth, I weighed myself after I gave birth, still weighed 142 pounds. The doctor said it was due to extreme water retention and the added breast milk.

The amount a woman that just gave birth can expect to lose.

How much weight will I lose right after giving birth?

You probably won't return to your pre-pregnancy weight for some time, but you will lose a significant amount of weight immediately after delivery. Subtracting one 7- to 8-pound baby, about a pound or so of placenta, and another few pounds of blood and amniotic fluid leaves most new moms about 12 pounds lighter.

The weight keeps coming off, too. All the extra water your cells retained during pregnancy, along with fluid from the extra blood you had in your pregnant body, will be looking for a way out.
So you'll produce more urine than usual in the days after birth an astounding 3 quarts a day. You may perspire a lot, too. By the end of the first week, you'll likely lose about 4 to 6 pounds of water weight. (The amount varies depending on how much water you retained during pregnancy.)
http://www.babycenter.com/body-changes-after-childbirth

Don't be surprised if your actual weight loss is not as large.

Smfarnsworth
Mar16-14, 04:05 AM
P: 2
IMMEDIATE weight loss after birth

Well that's annoying!! I was rather hoping that like the birds in the van, the weight would remain constant!

Thank you....

Register to reply