Flow of electrons hit a potential hole

In summary, the coefficient of electrons that passes the obstacle is calculated as ##T=(1+\frac{1}{4}(\frac{k_1}{\kappa }+\frac{\kappa }{k_1})^2sinh^2(\kappa a))^{-1}##. The equation is for a potential well, and inside the well, the sinh function becomes a sin function. If V is positive and greater than E, then the wavevector will be imaginary.
skrat

Homework Statement

Flow of 500 electrons per second with kinetic energy 3 eV hits a perpendicular 5 eV potential hole 0.3 nm wide. How many electrons pass per second pass the obstacle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmm, I checked my notes where it is written that coefficient of electrons that passes the obstacle is calculated as ##T=(1+\frac{1}{4}(\frac{k_1}{\kappa }+\frac{\kappa }{k_1})^2sinh^2(\kappa a))^{-1}##

Where I used notation ##k_1=\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{(h)^2}}## and ##\kappa =\sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E)}{(h)^2}}##. I don't know how to write crossed h in latex, so I used (h) instead. Notation a tells how wide the hole is.

So ##k_1=8.66 nm^{-1}## and ##\kappa =7.07 nm^{-1}## and ##sinh^2(\kappa a)=0.00137##

Which gives me ##T=0.05377## and therefore 26 electrons should pass the obstacle. BUT the result in the book states 408 electrons as result...

Doesn anybody know what am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what potential "hole" means. But if it means a potential "well" of depth 5 eV, then the kinetic energy will still be positive inside the well. So, you will have an oscillatory wavefunction inside the well rather than exponential behavior. Instead of a "kappa" ##\kappa##, you'll have a ##k_2## wavevector inside the well. What happens to the Sinh function in this case?

Potential well it is. In direct translation from my language it is a hole. :)

Now here is my question. How will the kinetic energy still be positive inside the well? Before the well it is 3 eV and the well has a depth of 5 eV.

so ##k_2 =\sqrt{\frac{2m(E-V)}{(h)^2}}=i\sqrt{\frac{2m(v-E)}{(h)^2}}=i\kappa ##

In case you are right, which you probably are but I would like to understand why... sinh is than sin function.

If you take the potential to be 0 outside the well, then inside the well it will be -5eV. The kinetic energy is the difference between E and V: E-V. This gives a positive value of the KE inside the well.

Right, the sinh function becomes a sin function.

So E-V=8 eV.

Than, only if V is positive than wavevector ##k_2## will be complex, or... ?

If V is positive and greater than E, then the wavevector will be imaginary. So, if you had a potential barrier of height 5 eV with E = 3 ev, then the kinetic energy E-V would be negative inside the barrier.

TSny said:
If V is positive and greater than E, then the wavevector will be imaginary. So, if you had a potential barrier of height 5 eV with E = 3 ev, then the kinetic energy E-V would be negative inside the barrier.

How does this differ from my original post (problem)?

skrat said:
How does this differ from my original post (problem)?

The original post dealt with a potential well (I think), whereas, my last comment was for a potential barrier.

For a moment a thought that's the same.

Thank you for your help!

What is the flow of electrons?

The flow of electrons refers to the movement of negatively charged particles from one point to another within a material or an electrical circuit.

What is a potential hole?

A potential hole is an area within a material where there is a lack of electrons, creating a positive charge and a potential for electrons to flow towards it.

How does the flow of electrons hit a potential hole?

When a material or circuit has a potential difference, it creates an electric field that exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to flow towards the potential hole and fill the empty space.

What is the significance of the flow of electrons hitting a potential hole?

The flow of electrons hitting a potential hole is an essential process in creating an electrical current. It allows for the movement of charge and the transfer of energy, which is necessary for many technological devices and systems to function.

How is the flow of electrons hitting a potential hole controlled?

The flow of electrons and potential holes can be controlled through the use of conductive materials, such as wires, and the manipulation of the electric field through the use of voltage sources and other electronic components.