Composites of injections/surjections/bijections

• Thread starter ricardianequiva
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the bijectivity of composite functions and the conditions required for a function to be bijective. The main focus is on proving that if h o g o f is bijective, g must also be bijective. The conversation also touches on a similar question and the use of bijections and their inverses in proofs. The conversation ends with a question about a theorem involving the bijectivity of composite functions and its proof.
ricardianequiva

Homework Statement

Consider arbitrary sets A, B, C and D with arbitrary functions:
f:A-->B, g:B-->C, h:C-->D. We define a composite function
h o g o f:A-->D.
Given that h, f, and h o g o f are bijective, and g is injective, show that g is also surjective (i.e. g is bijective).
This seems almost trivial to me, but my TA says that it requires proving.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. Are there any conditions on g besides it being injective? You can always compose functions between sets like that, so that doesn't tell you anything.

No there aren't any other conditions.

Here's a similar question: Let x,y,z be integers, and define x+y+z. Show that if x and z are even, so is y. Do you see why you need more information? And what made you think it was trivial?

O I made a mistake in the question, we are given that h o g o f is bijective.

Ok, then use the fact that bijections have inverses, which are also bijections, and that the composition of bijections is a bijection.

got it, thanks!

One more question:
In our textbook we are given a theorem that:
If f o g is bijective then g is injective and f is surjective. I can informally see this by drawing Venn Diagrams, but how would one go about doing a formal proof.

Just go back to the definitions. For example, assume g wasn't injective. Then for some x,y, we'd have g(x)=g(y), and so f(g(x))=f(g(y)), and f o g isn't injective.

1. What is a composite of injections?

A composite of injections is a mathematical function that combines two or more injections to create a new function. Injections are functions that map distinct elements from one set to distinct elements in another set.

2. How is a composite of injections different from a composite of surjections?

A composite of injections ensures that each element in the output set has a unique pre-image in the input set, while a composite of surjections only requires that each element in the output set has at least one pre-image in the input set. In other words, injections are one-to-one mappings, while surjections are onto mappings.

3. What is the purpose of using a composite of bijections?

A composite of bijections is often used to simplify complex functions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It also allows for the use of inverse functions, which can be helpful in solving equations and proving theorems.

4. How do you determine if a composite of injections is also an injection?

In order for a composite of injections to also be an injection, the individual injections must be arranged in a way that preserves the one-to-one mapping of elements. This means that the composite function must also map distinct elements from the input set to distinct elements in the output set.

5. Can a composite of injections be both an injection and a surjection?

Yes, it is possible for a composite of injections to also be a surjection. This would mean that the composite function both maps distinct elements from the input set to distinct elements in the output set, and that each element in the output set has at least one pre-image in the input set.