Exploring a Recursive Formula for Sums of Powers: Have You Seen This Before?

• Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discussed a formula for the sums of powers of n from 1 to x, which is called a telescopic sum. It was derived using a geometrical approach and allows for the recursive definition of the sum. Additionally, the conversation touched on the technique of using telescopic sums to find sums of powers, which is not a trivial method.
StatusX
Homework Helper
I was trying to come up with a formula for the sums of powers of n from 1 to x (ie, x(x+1)/2 for the first power, x(x+1)(2x+1)/6 for the second, etc), and in the process, I found this pretty cool formula:

[tex] x^r = \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^r - (n-1)^r [/tex]

have any of you seen this before? does it have a name? does it have an easy proof?

it gives an easy way to recursively define the formula for the sum I was looking for, which gave me this other interesting result that I'm sure is nothing new, but I just thought it was also cool:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^3 = [ \sum_{n=1}^{x} n]^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yor first formula above : It's called a telescopic sum. Write out all the terms on the RHS and you'll find that they all cancel off, except the first and last terms, which gives you the LHS.

wow, that's simple, and completely different from the way i derived it, which was geometrical. still, its not completely trivial, because it does give the formulas i was after. for example:

[tex] x = \sum_{n=1}^{x} n - (n-1) = \sum_{n=1}^{x} 1 = x[/tex]

[tex] x^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^2 - (n-1)^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^2-n^2 + 2n - 1 = 2 (\sum_{n=1}^{x} n) - x [/tex]

which leaves:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{x} n = \frac{x(x+1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex] x^3 = \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^3 - (n-1)^3 = \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^3-n^3 + 3n^2-3n + 1 = 3 (\sum_{n=1}^{x} n^2) - 3\frac{x(x+1)}{2} +x [/tex]

which leaves:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{x} n^2 = \frac{x(x+1)(2x+1)}{6}[/tex]

and so on.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a technique often used to find sums of powers. It's not trivial at all, when used for that.

1. What is the formula for?

The formula is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between different variables or quantities.

2. How was this formula derived?

The formula may have been derived through experimentation, observation, or mathematical analysis.

3. Can you explain the variables and their meanings in the formula?

Yes, the variables in the formula represent specific quantities or parameters that are related to each other in a mathematical equation.

4. How can I use this formula in my research/work?

The formula can be used to make calculations or predictions related to the specific topic or problem it is designed for.

5. Is this formula widely accepted and used in the scientific community?

It depends on the specific formula and its application. Some formulas may be widely accepted and used, while others may be more controversial or limited in their use.