Source Follower Large Signal - MOSFET amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's lack of confidence in analyzing circuits and their knowledge of four equations related to voltage and current. The speaker also mentions choosing an answer based on online discussions but is still unsure of where to go with the problem. The expert suggests looking carefully at equation 2 and notes that equations 3 and 4 are incorrect. The expert also mentions that the given circuit does not provide enough information to solve for Vo.
krtica
t50yew.png

I'm still not very confident in analyzing circuits. Here's what I know:

1) v_o=v_IN - v_T
2) id=k/2*(v_IN-v_T)^2
3) v_o=v_S-(k/2)(v_IN-v_T)^2*RS
4) v_o = v_S-id*Rs

iDS = v_o/RS
The answer I chose in the photo was based off of other online discussions. I'm very confused and don't have the slightest idea as to where to go. Any ideas appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
krtica said:
t50yew.png

1) v_o=v_IN - v_T
2) id=k/2*(v_IN-v_T)^2
4) v_o = v_S-id*Rs

iDS = v_o/RS

The answer I chose in the photo was based off of other online discussions. I'm very confused and don't have the slightest idea as to where to go. Any ideas appreciated.

Equations 3 and 4 are wrong. Note that Vo and Vs are the same voltage!

I would look carefully at eq. 2 ...

krtica said:
t50yew.png

1) v_o=v_IN - v_T
2) id=k/2*(v_IN-v_T)^2
4) v_o = v_S-id*Rs

iDS = v_o/RS

Oh, BTW your answer is correct also. But for the given circuit, you don't know Vo.

What is a source follower large signal MOSFET amplifier?

A source follower large signal MOSFET amplifier is an electronic circuit that uses a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) as its main amplifying component. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers and power amplifiers due to its ability to provide high output power with low distortion.

How does a source follower large signal MOSFET amplifier work?

The circuit consists of a MOSFET with its source connected to the input signal and its drain connected to the output load. The gate is biased at a fixed voltage, typically through a resistor, and the output voltage is taken from the drain terminal. The input signal causes a change in the MOSFET's drain-source current, resulting in an amplified output voltage.

What are the advantages of using a source follower large signal MOSFET amplifier?

There are several advantages to using this type of amplifier, including its high input impedance, low output impedance, and high power gain. It also has a low distortion level and can operate over a wide range of frequencies.

What are the limitations of a source follower large signal MOSFET amplifier?

One limitation is its relatively low voltage gain, which may require additional stages of amplification for certain applications. It also has a limited output swing, meaning it may not be suitable for high voltage applications. Additionally, the MOSFET's non-linear characteristics can introduce distortion in the output signal.

How is the operating point of a source follower large signal MOSFET amplifier determined?

The operating point, or quiescent point, is determined by the DC biasing of the MOSFET. This is typically done by selecting appropriate resistor values in the biasing circuit. The goal is to set the operating point at the center of the MOSFET's linear region to ensure optimal amplification and minimal distortion.