Alternating Series: Does Divergence Hold?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of alternating series and the criteria for determining their convergence. The alternating series test and other tests such as Abel's test and the Dirichlet test are mentioned. The conversation also includes a reference to the Riemann series theorem and provides examples of calculating sums of alternating series using the Taylor series of ln(1+x).
tandoorichicken
I know that a series such as

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} [/tex]

is divergent. Is this also the case for an alternating version of the same series, i.e.,

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{\sqrt{n}} [/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
What criteria do you have for alternating series?

Daniel.

As dexter hinted to, look up the alternating series test. A stronger version is Abel's test, and even stronger is the Dirichlet test.

Well, I know about the alternate series test, I am just saying that is it reliable to say that if a particular series does not converge to a certain sum, then a similar series that alternates between positive and negative also will not converge to a specific sum?

well, it depends on the series. The alternating series test says that

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^na_n, \; \mbox{with} \ a_n \geq a_{n+1} \ \forall n \geq 0[/tex]

converges if [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = 0[/itex].

So in your specific example, the alternating series converges, even though the series is not absolutely convergent, because

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}} \leq \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \ \forall n \geq 1[/tex]

and

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} = 0[/tex]

If a series is convergent but not absolutely convergent, we call it conditionally convergent. Conditionally convergent series have some very unintuitive properties, one of which is described here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannSeriesTheorem.html

The sum is approximately [itex] 0.6 [/itex]...

Daniel.

Regarding the MathWorld reference:

Can anyone explain to me how to calculate these sums?

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{4k(2k-1)}=\frac{1}{2}ln(2)[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}=ln(2)[/tex]

The last is very easy,if u consider the Taylor series of [itex] \ln(1+x) [/itex] around zero...(there's another elegant construction,too).

As for the first,write it like that

[tex]S=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{2k(2k-1)}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty} \left(\frac{1}{2k-1}-\frac{1}{2k}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left[\left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}\right)+...\right]= \frac{1}{2}\ln 2 [/tex]

,where i made use of the second sum...

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
The last is very easy,if u consider the Taylor series of [itex] \ln(1+x) [/itex] around zero...(there's another elegant construction,too).

As for the first,write it like that

[tex]S=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{2k(2k-1)}=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty} \left(\frac{1}{2k-1}-\frac{1}{2k}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left[\left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)+\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}\right)+...\right]= \frac{1}{2}\ln 2 [/tex]

,where i made use of the second sum...

Daniel.

Oh Jesus. I think you've already told me something like that before with another one. I'll spend some time with it. Thanks.

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a type of mathematical series where the terms alternate in sign (positive and negative) as they progress. For example, the series 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - ... is an alternating series.

2. What is the divergence test for alternating series?

The divergence test for alternating series is a method used to determine if an alternating series diverges (does not have a finite sum) or converges (has a finite sum). It states that if the limit of the absolute value of the terms of the series does not approach 0, then the series diverges.

3. Does the divergence test always hold for alternating series?

No, the divergence test does not always hold for alternating series. There are certain cases where the series may appear to diverge, but with further analysis, it can be shown to actually converge. This is known as conditional convergence.

4. How do you use the divergence test to determine convergence or divergence?

To determine convergence or divergence using the divergence test, you first take the absolute value of each term in the series. Then, you take the limit of these absolute values as n approaches infinity. If the limit is equal to 0, the series converges. If the limit is not equal to 0, the series diverges.

5. Are there any other tests for determining convergence or divergence of alternating series?

Yes, there are other tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence of alternating series, such as the alternating series test and the ratio test. These tests can be used in cases where the divergence test is inconclusive or cannot be applied.