Does ''expanding space'' mean formation of new space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "expanding space" and how it relates to the distance between objects in the universe. The conclusion is that the answer is yes, since the distance between objects is increasing, it can be interpreted as creating new space. A helpful picture is provided for further understanding.
tarekatpf
This is what I understand. I can be wrong though. Please let me my conceptions are wrong.

If by ''space'', you mean ''distance between two objects'' then the answer should be ''yes.'' Because since the distance between two distant objects in the universe is actually increasing, it should mean you're making the objects more distant, and also making new space.

Well, is that so?

Space news on Phys.org
tarekatpf said:
If by ''space'', you mean ''distance between two objects'' then the answer should be ''yes.'' Because since the distance between two distant objects in the universe is actually increasing, it should mean you're making the objects more distant, and also making new space.

Well, is that so?
Yes, trivially so, based on your starting identification: space = distance between two objects.

I can confirm that your understanding is partially correct. The expansion of space does result in the formation of new space, but it is more complex than simply creating distance between two objects.

The concept of expanding space is based on the theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity affects the curvature of space-time. It suggests that the universe is constantly expanding, with galaxies and other celestial bodies moving away from each other due to the expansion of space. This means that the space between objects is increasing, but it is not just the distance between them that is expanding.

In fact, the expansion of space is happening everywhere, even within our own bodies and within the atoms that make up our bodies. This is because the fabric of space-time itself is expanding, causing the distance between all objects to increase. This expansion is not limited to just the observable universe, but it is happening on a larger scale that we may never fully understand.

Therefore, it is not accurate to say that expanding space is simply creating new distance between objects. It is a fundamental property of our universe that is constantly shaping and evolving the fabric of space-time itself. I hope this helps clarify your understanding.

1. What is meant by "expanding space"?

"Expanding space" refers to the theory that the universe is constantly growing and the distance between objects is increasing. This is supported by observations of galaxies moving away from each other.

2. Does expanding space mean that new space is being created?

No, expanding space does not necessarily mean that new space is being created. It simply means that the existing space is stretching and objects are moving farther apart.

3. How does expanding space affect the objects within it?

As space expands, the objects within it also expand, but this is not noticeable on a small scale. The expansion of space only becomes significant on a cosmic scale.

4. Is expanding space a proven concept?

Yes, expanding space is a well-supported concept in cosmology. It is based on observations of the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us and each other.

5. Is the rate of expanding space constant?

No, the rate of expanding space is not constant. It has been observed to increase over time, which is known as cosmic acceleration. The cause of this acceleration is still being studied and is a topic of ongoing research in cosmology.