What is the Composition of Functions f o f?

• Thread starter nicnicman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding f o f given the maps g and f, with A={a,b,c,d}, B={1,2,3}, and C={2,3,6,8}. The participants try to determine the output of f o f(1) but realize that it is not possible since 8 is not in the domain of f. Therefore, the map f o f does not make sense in this context.
nicnicman

Homework Statement

Let g : A → B and f : B → C where A = {a,b,c,d}, B = {1,2,3}, C = {2,3,6,8}, and g and f are defined by g = {(a,2),(b,1),(c,3),(d,2)} and f = {(1,8),(2,3),(3,2)}.

Find f o f

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find f o g by working from g to f, but I'm not sure what to do with f o f. Does it simply map back to it self?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
The map [itex]f\circ f[/itex] doesn't even make sense in this context. I think they made an error in the problem statement.

Well actually it's f o f ^-1, but I just wanted help with the f o f part.
Could you elaborate why this wouldn't make sense?

Last edited:
nicnicman said:
Well actually it's f o f ^-1, but I just wanted help with the f o f part.
Could you elaborate why this wouldn't make sense?

What is f o f(1)?

(f o f)(1) = f(f(1)) = I want to say 8, but I don't think this is right.

I think f(1) = 8.

nicnicman said:
(f o f)(1) = f(f(1)) = I want to say 8, but I don't think this is right.

I think f(1) = 8.
So, you're saying f(f(1)) = f(8).

Now to finish answering Dick's question ... What is f(8) ?

I'm not really sure.

nicnicman said:
Not sure.

Look in your table for f. Search for a couple (8,x). What is x?

nicnicman said:
I'm not really sure.

You probably aren't sure because 8 isn't in the domain of f. Wouldn't this indicate a "doesn't make sense" response?

Okay so we would mapping from 1 to 8, but then since 8 is not in the domain of f it doesn't work.

nicnicman said:
Okay so we would mapping from 1 to 8, but then since 8 is not in the domain of f it doesn't work.

Indeed. We can go from 1 to 8. But then we can't apply f anymore since we can't leave from 8.

Okay, thanks for walking me through that.

What is composition of functions?

Composition of functions is the process of combining two or more functions to create a new function. It involves using the output of one function as the input of another function.

How do you represent composition of functions?

Composition of functions is represented using the notation f(g(x)) or (f ∘ g)(x), where f and g are individual functions and x is the input value.

What is the order of composition of functions?

The order of composition of functions matters, as the functions must be written in the correct order in order to get the correct output. For example, f(g(x)) means that the output of g(x) is used as the input for f(x), while g(f(x)) means that the output of f(x) is used as the input for g(x).

What is the domain and range of a composed function?

The domain of a composed function is the set of all input values that can be used for the composed function. The range is the set of all possible output values of the composed function.

What are some real-life applications of composition of functions?

Composition of functions is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It can be used to model complex systems, analyze data, and solve problems in various fields.