Find Functions: f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: Would that work?Linear functions don't necessarily have to be positive, and there is no need to worry about the other direction.A monotonic function is always positive, and bounded in the other direction if it has an asymptotic value of zero in one direction and unbounded in the other direction.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Find the functions:
f: (0, ∞) → ℝ and g: ℝ → ( 0, ∞) such that f o g = I (I denotes identity function on ℝ).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble working backwards. I know that (f o g)(x) is f(g(x)). I am unsure if this is correct but would f o g be ℝ →ℝ be correct? And then that is the identity function? Making the identity function x?. I am confused on how exactly to approach this problem however. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused, too, as there is no single solution, so "Find the functions" without further requirements doesn't make sense.
Can you at least name a few examples for ##f(g(x))=x\,?##

fresh_42 said:
I am confused, too, as there is no single solution, so "Find the functions" without further requirements doesn't make sense.
Can you at least name a few examples for ##f(g(x))=x\,?##
My apologies it's a homework question and I meant to put "find functions" rather than "find the functions", a few examples of f(g(x)) = x would be f(x) = x+4 and g(x) = x-4, and another example would be f(x) = x2 and g(x) = √x.

ver_mathstats said:
My apologies it's a homework question and I meant to put "find functions" rather than "find the functions", a few examples of f(g(x)) = x would be f(x) = x+4 and g(x) = x-4,

Can you see what's wrong with this example?

Hint: check all the criteria in the question.

Sorry, I misread the question.

Last edited:
I think the general solution is to take f(x) a random 1-1 function, and to take as ##g=f^{-1}## the inverse of f which is well defined since f is 1-1. So it will hold $$f(g(x))=f(f^{-1}(x))=x$$.

Delta2 said:
I think the general solution is to take f(x) a random 1-1 function, and to take as ##g=f^{-1}## the inverse of f which is well defined since f is 1-1. So it will hold $$f(g(x))=f(f^{-1}(x))=x$$.

That might not quite be correct either! See the example above.

Ok I think I see the problem, it has to do with the domain/image of the functions.

How about the functions ##g(x)=x^{2n}## ##f(x)={x}^{\frac{1}{2n}}## I think those two qualify all the criteria correct?

Delta2 said:
Ok I think I see the problem, it has to do with the domain/image of the functions.

How about the functions ##g(x)=x^2## ##f(x)=\sqrt{x}## I think those two qualify all the criteria correct?

Yes, of course.

The problem as stated is quite awkward, because you have to ensure that both functions are always positive. I'm not really sure what the point of the question is, unless it is to give a few examples.

Actually I am wrong cause in my example it is ##f(g(x))=|x|##... would work only if we consider ##g:R^{+}\to R^{+}## but the statement requires g to has domain R.

I think one point of the question is to understand that f,g must be some sort of inverse pair ##f,g=f^{-1}## but with the proper domains.

The only valid example I can think with well known functions is to take ##f(x)=\ln x##. You got in mind any other examples @PeroK?

Delta2 said:
Actually I am wrong cause in my example it is ##f(g(x))=|x|##... would work only if we consider ##g:R^{+}\to R^{+}## but the statement requires g to has domain R.

I think one point of the question is to understand that f,g must be some sort of inverse pair ##f,g=f^{-1}## but with the proper domains.

The only valid example I can think with well known functions is to take ##f(x)=\ln x##. You got in mind any other examples @PeroK?
##\ln x## isn't allowed either, as it's not always positive. Also, ##f## doesn't have to be 1-1, only ##g##. E.g. if ##g(x) = e^x##, then ##f(x) = \ln x## doesn't work, but you can still find a suitable ##f##.

PeroK said:
##\ln x## isn't allowed either, as it's not always positive. .
The statement doesn't require that f is positive, only g must be positive.

Likes PeroK
Delta2 said:
The statement doesn't require that f is positive, only g must be positive.

Yes, okay, I missed that!

Ignore all my posts!

Likes Delta2
The easiest solution, i.e. which requires no thoughts about the domains, is probably a linear function. These are already ##\mathfrak{c}## many.

fresh_42 said:
The easiest solution, i.e. which requires no thoughts about the domains, is probably a linear function. These are already ##\mathfrak{c}## many.
Wouldn't linear run into a problem with g>0?
How about just requiring g to be monotonic with an asymptotic value of zero in one direction and unbounded in the other?

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Wouldn't linear run into a problem with g>0?
Why that? ##c > 0 \Longleftrightarrow 1/c > 0##

fresh_42 said:
Why that? ##c > 0 \Longleftrightarrow 1/c > 0##
Because g has as domain the whole real line, so for x negative we can't have g(x) and g(-x) both positive.

Delta2 said:
Because g has as domain the whole real line, so for x negative we can't have g(x) and g(-x) both positive.
And who said we had to choose the function on the entire line?

Well to be honest I am not sure . The statement of the problem shows as domain for g the whole ##\mathbb{R}##. I am not sure if that kind of statement implies that the domain can be a subset of ##\mathbb{R}##.

Delta2 said:
Well to be honest I am not sure . The statement of the problem shows as domain for g the whole ##\mathbb{R}##. I am not sure if that kind of statement implies that the domain can be a subset of ##\mathbb{R}##.
Nothing what an absolute value can't fix.

fresh_42 said:
Nothing what an absolute value can't fix.
It seems to fix one problem but creates another, then we will have ##f(g(x))=|x|## but the statement requires that ##f(g(x))=x## I made a similar mistake too in post #7,#9.

I obviously hadn't considered all aspects. Say ##M:=(0,\infty)##. Then we have ##f\, : \,M \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## and ##g\, : \,\mathbb{R}\longrightarrow M## and ##f(g(x))=x## for all ##x\in \mathbb{R}##.

This means that ##g## is injective: ##g(a)=g(b) \Longrightarrow a=f(g(a))=f(g(b))=b##. So we need an embedding of the real numbers in ##M##. I think this has to be solved first.

Likes Delta2
I think I have a solution and the embedding was the key: The negative numbers go to ##(0,1/2)## and the positive to ##(1/2,\infty)## under ##g##.

1. What is the meaning of "f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)"?

The notation "f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)" means the composition of two functions, f and g, equals the identity function on the set of real numbers to the set of real numbers. This means that when the output of function g is used as the input for function f, the resulting output is the same as the original input.

2. How do you find the functions f and g given "f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)"?

To find the functions f and g, you can use the inverse function property. This states that if f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ), then g is the inverse of f and vice versa. You can also use algebraic manipulation to solve for each function individually.

3. What is the significance of the identity function in "f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)"?

The identity function serves as a reference point for the composition of f and g. It represents the idea that the output of the composition should be the same as the input, indicating that the two functions are inverses of each other.

4. Can you give an example of functions f and g that satisfy "f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)"?

One example of functions f and g that satisfy "f o g = Iℝ (ℝ→ℝ)" is f(x) = 2x and g(x) = 1/2x. When these functions are composed, the output is the same as the input, as 2(1/2x) = x.

5. How is the composition of functions related to function notation?

The composition of functions can be represented using function notation, with the inner function being substituted into the outer function. For example, f o g can be written as f(g(x)). This notation helps to show the relationship between the two functions and how they are composed.