Two capacitors, two resistors and a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a circuit that includes two 6.0µF capacitors, two 2.2 kiloOhm resistors, and a 12 V source connected in series. The individual is unsure how to approach the problem, but mentions the use of an exponential function and the need to find the equivalent resistance and capacitance of the components. They are seeking help in solving the problem and reducing the circuit to a simple RC circuit.
Theelectricchild
Hey guys I am a bit stuck as to what to do here... we haven't covered much on RC circuits yet and id like to learn how to do this properly.

Two 6.0µF capacitors, two 2.2 kiloOhm resistors, and a 12 V source are connected in SERIES. Starting from the uncharged state how long does it take for the current to drop from its initial value to 1.50 mA?

i KNow i need to use the exponential function, but what must i do with the fact that its in series? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the equivalent resistance of two resistors in series?

What's the equivalent capacitance of two capacitors in series?

Answer those, and you can reduce the circuit to a simple RC circuit.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your question with us. It's great that you are looking to learn and understand RC circuits better.

To solve this problem, we will need to use the equation for the time constant (τ) of an RC circuit, which is given by τ = RC, where R is the total resistance and C is the total capacitance in the circuit. In this case, the total capacitance is the sum of the two 6.0µF capacitors, which gives us 12.0µF. The total resistance is the sum of the two 2.2 kiloOhm resistors, which gives us 4.4 kiloOhms.

Now, since the circuit is in series, the current flowing through each component will be the same. This means that the initial current is equal to the current at any given time, which we will call I. So, using Ohm's Law, we can write I = V/R, where V is the battery voltage and R is the total resistance. Substituting in the values, we get I = 12 V/4.4 kiloOhms = 2.727 mA.

Now, we can use the equation for the charge on a capacitor (Q) at any given time (t), which is given by Q = Q0e^(-t/τ), where Q0 is the initial charge on the capacitor and τ is the time constant. Since the capacitors are initially uncharged, Q0 = 0. So, we can rearrange the equation to get t = -τ ln(Q/Q0). Substituting in the values, we get t = -4.4 kiloOhms * ln(1.50 mA/2.727 mA) = 3.07 seconds.

Therefore, it will take approximately 3.07 seconds for the current to drop from its initial value to 1.50 mA in this circuit.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach and solve this type of problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the purpose of having two capacitors, two resistors, and a battery in a circuit?

The capacitors and resistors work together with the battery to regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit. They can help store and release energy, control the voltage and current, and protect other components in the circuit.

2. How are capacitors and resistors different from each other?

Capacitors store electrical energy in an electric field, while resistors resist the flow of electrical current. In simpler terms, capacitors store energy and resistors resist it.

3. Can these components be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, capacitors, resistors, and batteries are used in a wide range of circuits, from simple ones like flashlights to complex ones like computers and smartphones.

4. What happens if one of the components in the circuit fails?

If one of the components, such as a capacitor or resistor, fails, it can cause the circuit to stop working properly or not work at all. It may also affect the performance of other components in the circuit.

5. How do capacitors and resistors affect the overall performance of a circuit?

The values and placement of capacitors and resistors in a circuit can affect the voltage, current, and frequency of the electricity flowing through it. This can impact the performance and functionality of the circuit as a whole.