Organising .pdf files for ease of access.

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, Windows (7) does not allow you to add author or year properties to PDF files, even though you can do this on the folder view. You can open the window but you are not allowed to enter the information.
mikeph
Hello

I am trying to sort the numerous PDF files I have in a folder, not written by me, and mostly journal articles that I have downloaded. I am having two problems with this:

1. Windows (7) does not allow me to add "author" or "year" properties to these files, although I have placed them in a folder customised specifically for documents. I find this odd since it let's me add these specific columns on the folder view. I would ideally like it to happen automatically as the year of publication at least is contained in the PDF file, but failing this I can't even enter the information manually.

2. Failing even this I would like to alter the PDF file properties to add an author or date. I can open the window but I don't seem to be allowed to enter this information- the edit boxes are disabled.

Question- how does everyone sort their pdf files? I can see in a year or so I'll have upwards of 50 and it will take a long time to find the one I need, given my current convention is to just call the file "[author][year].pdf", especially as some authors publish more than one article a year.

Regards,

Mike

Computer science news on Phys.org
MikeyW said:
Hello

I am trying to sort the numerous PDF files I have in a folder, not written by me, and mostly journal articles that I have downloaded. I am having two problems with this:

1. Windows (7) does not allow me to add "author" or "year" properties to these files, although I have placed them in a folder customised specifically for documents. I find this odd since it let's me add these specific columns on the folder view. I would ideally like it to happen automatically as the year of publication at least is contained in the PDF file, but failing this I can't even enter the information manually.

2. Failing even this I would like to alter the PDF file properties to add an author or date. I can open the window but I don't seem to be allowed to enter this information- the edit boxes are disabled.

Question- how does everyone sort their pdf files? I can see in a year or so I'll have upwards of 50 and it will take a long time to find the one I need, given my current convention is to just call the file "[author][year].pdf", especially as some authors publish more than one article a year.

Regards,

Mike
Is the file read-only? This often happens if you copy them off a CD-R or something similar.

You are on the right track about storing the information in the metadata. That is the best way.

I don't think it is... although it's a PDF so I'd not expect to alter it, I don't know where to find its protection. I can't see this mentioned in any of the usual places (file properties, security, etc.)

Ultimately I'd like to edit the meta-data (that's the word I was looking for!) as windows sees it, like I know you can for audio files. I just can't see the options for documents. I got them all from the journal websites using my academic login.

In XP you just right click on the file, go to properties and on the General tab it has a section called "Attributes" and a checkbox that indicates if it is read only.

When it is checked you can not modify the metadata.

Nope, that is not checked. :(

What is the best way to organize .pdf files for ease of access?

The best way to organize .pdf files for ease of access is to create a folder structure that makes sense for your specific needs. This could include creating subfolders for different categories or projects, using descriptive file names, and adding tags or keywords to help with searchability.

Should I rename .pdf files for better organization?

Renaming .pdf files can be helpful for organization, especially if the original file names are not descriptive. However, be sure to use consistent naming conventions so that files are easy to find and sort.

Is it important to regularly clean up and declutter .pdf files?

Yes, it is important to regularly clean up and declutter .pdf files to maintain a well-organized system. This can include deleting unnecessary files, moving files to appropriate folders, and updating file names or tags.

How can I ensure that my .pdf files are backed up and secure?

To ensure that your .pdf files are backed up and secure, it is recommended to use cloud storage or an external hard drive for file storage. This will protect your files in case of computer issues or data loss.

Are there any tools or software that can help with organizing .pdf files?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can help with organizing .pdf files. These include file management systems, document management software, and productivity tools with built-in file organization features.