Direction of current for Kirchhoff's Current Law

In summary: They use current sources to show the flow of power and then mark the current direction. This is to signify the power going into and out of the circuit. The current direction is also important because it helps with understanding the conservation of charges.
filerosfer

Homework Statement

Find the power absorbed by each element in the single node pair circuit of the figure, and show that the sum is equal to zero.
KGBQp.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's current law... in current = out current

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the solution.

I have the solution (see below). However I hope someone can help me understand how they chose the direction of current for Kirchhoff's current law. I can visualize the 8 amps turning right and going into the middle node. The 7 amps is clearly going into the node. However, I'm not sure about how they know what signs to use for the current through all the resistors.

I know at least one of the currents through the middle node must go out. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that they define the positive voltage at the middle. I'll just confuse myself if I keep guessing though.

Thanks for any help.

MLO5y.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The method chosen to solve the problem relies on the conservation of charge into a node. What goes in must go out and vice versa.

So yes, they chose a Vx as +, and current flows + to - . But if you notice the current sources flow counter to the flow of the current through the resistors.

The power approach summation they provide as a check is based on the notion that power = V*I, and so carrying the sign of the current to the voltage, they assign negative power numbers to the active current sources. Not entirely intuitive given that power through resistors for instance result in I2R of heat, and that makes no distinction for direction.

Thanks

LowlyPion said:
But if you notice the current sources flow counter to the flow of the current through the resistors.

That is what I am confused about. How do you know that the current through the resistors all contribute to current "out" of the middle node?

I must adamantly insist that students start taking a different approach when starting to set up problems with circuits. you ought to assign letters between junctions, capacitors, resistors, inductors, and bridges. you ought to begin thinking about circuits with the statement, the potential from A to B is _______ and so forth and NOT resistor 1 has this potential drop and on and on.

filerosfer said:
That is what I am confused about. How do you know that the current through the resistors all contribute to current "out" of the middle node?

Conceptually it must be "out" because the current sources are "in". (see the arrows?)

You can't keep putting water in a pipe with no drain from all directions. There has to be a drain. Nature doesn't use RotoRooter. That's what the conservation of charges is all about. What goes in is what comes out.

LowlyPion said:
Conceptually it must be "out" because the current sources are "in". (see the arrows?)

You can't keep putting water in a pipe with no drain from all directions. There has to be a drain. Nature doesn't use RotoRooter. That's what the conservation of charges is all about. What goes in is what comes out.

Ya, but you only need 1 "out". Like can you tell the current through the 6 ohm resistor contributes to the "out".

filerosfer said:
Ya, but you only need 1 "out". Like can you tell the current through the 6 ohm resistor contributes to the "out".

I trust that you see from the topology that all of the elements are parallel to one another. So actually whichever current flows through one resistor it will flow similarly in the others.

This addresses the previous good suggestion to label the nodes and consider potential changes in terms of from node to node.

Maxwellkid said:
I must adamantly insist that students start taking a different approach when starting to set up problems with circuits. you ought to assign letters between junctions, capacitors, resistors, inductors, and bridges. you ought to begin thinking about circuits with the statement, the potential from A to B is _______ and so forth and NOT resistor 1 has this potential drop and on and on.

I endorse this sentiment.
By talking about the potentials, not only does the meaning of "potential difference"
(e.g. VA - VB) become clear, but Kirchoff's "potential drops"
law is rendered redundant (satisfied trivially).

In this problem there are only two different potentials involved (and you can
call one of them zero without loss of generality).

Last edited:
Provided that the Ist law and 2nd law are adhered to it makes no difference numerically if some current directions are marked incorrectly.If the object is to find what a current is then a minus sign shows that the current flows in the opposite direction to that shown on the diagram.

What is Kirchhoff's Current Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of currents entering a node (or a point in a circuit) must be equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

What is the direction of current for Kirchhoff's Current Law?

The direction of current for Kirchhoff's Current Law is determined by the sign convention used in circuit analysis. The convention states that the direction of current flow is considered positive when it enters a node and negative when it leaves a node. This convention is important in correctly applying Kirchhoff's Current Law.

Why is the direction of current important in Kirchhoff's Current Law?

The direction of current is important in Kirchhoff's Current Law because it helps in determining the correct sign for the currents entering and leaving a node. Applying the correct sign convention ensures that the law is accurately applied and the equations derived are correct.

Can the direction of current change in Kirchhoff's Current Law?

Yes, the direction of current can change in Kirchhoff's Current Law. This can happen when the circuit elements (such as resistors, capacitors, etc.) are connected in different configurations, resulting in a change in the direction of current flow. However, the sign convention for the direction of current remains the same.

What happens if the direction of current is not correctly determined in Kirchhoff's Current Law?

If the direction of current is not correctly determined in Kirchhoff's Current Law, it can result in incorrect equations and solutions. This can lead to errors in circuit analysis and can affect the overall analysis of the circuit. Therefore, it is important to carefully determine the direction of current when applying Kirchhoff's Current Law.