Determinant of 3x3 Matrix without direct evaluation

In summary, the conversation is discussing possible methods for solving a problem without using direct evaluation. The method of cofactors is mentioned, which involves multiplying the minor by the sign of the element. It is also mentioned that there is a sheet from lecture that explains this method further.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

Show that:

(x^2) (2x) (-2)
(2x) (2-x^2) (2x)
(2) (-2x) (-x^2)

= (x^2 + 2)^3

Do not use direct evaluation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As direct evaluation is not permitted, I'm wondering which method should I use? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
what possible methods do you have in mind?

Is it a method using cofactors?

okay, now what does the method of cofactors do?

I'm going to have to look into that.

I have a sheet which I just got today from lecture and it states;

Cofactor is the minor multiplied by the sign of the element
Cij = (-1)^(i+j) Mij

Is this cofactor method different from making an upper triangular matrix from it?

1. What is a determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix is a scalar value that is calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is a measure of the matrix's linear transformation and can be used to determine if the matrix has an inverse, among other things.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix without direct evaluation?

A common method for calculating the determinant of a 3x3 matrix without direct evaluation is by using the "cross-multiplication" method. This involves multiplying the elements of each diagonal and subtracting the product of the other diagonal. There are also other methods, such as using the Laplace expansion or the cofactor method.

3. What is the significance of finding the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix has several important applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to determine if a system of linear equations has a unique solution, to find the volume of a parallelepiped defined by the matrix's columns, and to calculate the eigenvalues of the matrix.

4. Can the determinant of a 3x3 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 3x3 matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant is determined by the pattern of positive and negative elements in the matrix. For a 3x3 matrix, the determinant can be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What is the relationship between the determinant of a 3x3 matrix and its inverse?

The determinant of a 3x3 matrix is closely related to its inverse. Specifically, a 3x3 matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. Furthermore, the determinant of the inverse matrix is equal to the reciprocal of the determinant of the original matrix.