Nodal Analysis 1 equation 2 Unknowns Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proper way to use nodal analysis to solve a problem involving voltage and current. The participants are debating whether the first equation should be 0=0 or if there is an error in algebra. It is suggested to use two equations, with the second coming from the branch on the right side.
eatsleep
http://imgur.com/W9sWTv7V=IR, that is all I think
3. I have put my ground at the bottom branch. I have tried to write a KCL for the top branch but end up with 0=0 when I substitute in equivalencies. My KCL: (V1+5Ix-0)/20+2+Ix=0. (V1+5Ix)/20=-2-Ix. So 0=0. I am not sure if I am writing my KCL correct also I know I am missing something.

Can I make the voltages sources and the top node for a supernode?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are being hasty in concluding that you first equation develops into 0 = 0. The algebra doesn't support this conclusion.

Your first expression isn't even an equation - where's the = sign?

It says to use nodal analysis. Are you summing currents to zero at each independent node?

(I myself don't ever use KCL. I sum currents at each node to zero - is that KVL? I don't know. Never heard of a supernode either).

SteamKing said:
I think you are being hasty in concluding that you first equation develops into 0 = 0. The algebra doesn't support this conclusion.

Is it correct that (V1+5Ix)/20=-2-Ix ? If so that is where 0=0 comes from

If (V1 + 5Ix)/20 = -2 - Ix,
then
(V1 + 5Ix) = 20*(-2 - Ix)
(V1 + 5Ix) = -40 - 20Ix
V1 + 25Ix = -40

which is not 0 = 0

eatsleep said:
My KCL: (V1+5Ix-0)/20+2+Ix=0. (V1+5Ix)/20=-2-Ix.

This is wrong. It should be:

(V1-5Ix-0)/20+2+Ix=0

With the Electrician's correction, you have one equation. Your second equation comes from the branch on the right side, giving its own equation relating V1 and IX.

1. What is Nodal Analysis?

Nodal Analysis is a method used in electrical circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at different nodes (connection points) in a circuit. It involves writing equations at each node and solving them simultaneously to find the unknown values.

2. How is Nodal Analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal Analysis is different from other methods because it directly uses Kirchhoff's Current Law to write equations at each node, rather than using Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. This makes it more efficient for solving circuits with multiple voltage sources.

3. What is the equation used in Nodal Analysis for 1 equation and 2 unknowns problems?

The equation used in Nodal Analysis for 1 equation and 2 unknowns problems is the equation for Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This can be represented as: Iin = Iout.

4. How do you solve a Nodal Analysis problem with 1 equation and 2 unknowns?

To solve a Nodal Analysis problem with 1 equation and 2 unknowns, you need to first choose a reference node and label the unknown voltages at other nodes relative to this reference. Then, write the equation for Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node, substituting in known values and using Ohm's Law to represent voltage drops. Finally, solve the system of equations using algebraic manipulation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Nodal Analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Nodal Analysis include not properly labeling the unknown voltages, not including all current sources in the equations, and forgetting to take into account the direction of current flow in each equation. It is also important to double-check calculations and make sure all units are consistent throughout the analysis.