Statistics: detectibility of two objects, with 95% confidence

• Thread starter lavster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the difference between the mean of two distributions must be 3.29σ in order to differentiate between two objects at the 95% level. The discussion also mentions the use of a two tailed test at 95% confidence and the equation |Z| = |(W-0)/√2σ| > 1.96 to reject the null hypothesis. The conclusion is that the distance should be 2.77σ, which may differ from the initial assumption of 3.92σ.
lavster

Homework Statement

Apologies if this is not meant to go into homework area; this is not a homework or coursework question, but more to convince myself that what I am reading is correct

I have attached the diagram I am pondering over... How can I prove that if I want to differentiate between two objects at the 95% level then the difference between the mean of the two distributoins must be 3.29σ (*assume the standard deviation is the same for both distribution*)

I.e. i want to prove the distance in the attached image is 3.29σ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

95% (two tailed distribution is normally +/-1.96*σ). Therefore I naively thought that the distance would be two times this ie 3.92σ. This has the same numbers but in the wrong order! I am sure I am missing something obvious but as I am not clued up in my statistics I am finding it difficult to see what is wrong with my approach. Can anyone shed some light?!

thanks

Attachments

• query.png
    query.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
lavster said:

Homework Statement

Apologies if this is not meant to go into homework area; this is not a homework or coursework question, but more to convince myself that what I am reading is correct

I have attached the diagram I am pondering over... How can I prove that if I want to differentiate between two objects at the 95% level then the difference between the mean of the two distributoins must be 3.29σ (*assume the standard deviation is the same for both distribution*)

I.e. i want to prove the distance in the attached image is 3.29σ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

95% (two tailed distribution is normally +/-1.96*σ). Therefore I naively thought that the distance would be two times this ie 3.92σ. This has the same numbers but in the wrong order! I am sure I am missing something obvious but as I am not clued up in my statistics I am finding it difficult to see what is wrong with my approach. Can anyone shed some light?!

thanks

If ##X\sim n(\mu_1,\sigma^2)## and ##Y\sim n(\mu_2,\sigma^2)## then ##W = X-Y \sim n(\mu_1-\mu_2,2\sigma^2)##. If your hypothesis is that the means are different you want to reject ##H_0:\mu_1=\mu_2## with a two tailed test at 95% confidence you need$$
|Z| =\left|\frac{W-0}{\sqrt 2\sigma} \right| > 1.96$$ That gives ##|W|>1.96\sqrt 2\sigma
=2.77\sigma##. Perhaps I misunderstand the question.

1. How is the detectibility of two objects determined using statistics?

The detectibility of two objects is determined by analyzing the data collected from multiple observations of the objects. This data is then used to calculate the probability of detecting the objects and to establish a confidence level, typically 95%, for the detection.

2. What does a 95% confidence level mean in terms of detectibility?

A 95% confidence level means that there is a 95% chance that the two objects will be detected in future observations, based on the data and calculations performed. This level of confidence is commonly used in statistical analysis to establish a high level of certainty in the results.

3. How do you account for potential errors or discrepancies in the detectibility of two objects?

In statistical analysis, a margin of error is usually included when calculating the detectibility of two objects. This accounts for any potential errors or discrepancies in the data or calculations, and provides a more accurate representation of the true detectibility of the objects.

4. Can the detectibility of two objects change over time?

Yes, the detectibility of two objects can change over time. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as changes in environmental conditions or the objects themselves. It is important to regularly monitor and update the data and calculations to ensure the most accurate and up-to-date results.

5. How can statistics be used to improve the detectibility of two objects?

Statistics can be used to analyze and interpret the data collected from observations of the two objects. By identifying patterns and trends, scientists can gain a better understanding of the factors that affect detectibility and make improvements to increase the chances of successful detection in the future.