Calculations using Standard Deviation and Mean

In summary, the homework statement is:Homework Equations:-The percentage of observations that are within k standard deviations of the mean is at least100(1 - (1/k2))%-Chebyshev's Theorem is applicable to ANY data set, whether skewed or symmetrical.-For a symmetrical data set, approximately68% of the data is within 1 standard deviation from the mean95% of the data is within 2 standard deviations from the mean99.7% of the data is within 3 standard deviations from the mean.
Enharmonics

Homework Statement

6t6pAkk.png

Homework Equations

Chebyshev's Theorem: The percentage of observations that are within k standard deviations of the mean is at least

100(1 - (1/k2))%

Chebyshev's Theorem is applicable to ANY data set, whether skewed or symmetrical.

Empirical Rule: For a symmetrical data set, approximately

• 68% of the data is within 1 standard deviation from the mean
  • 95% of the data is within 2 standard deviations from the mean
  • 99.7% of the data is within 3 standard deviations from the mean

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm a little confused as to how to solve these problems. Based on the wording, I think I'm supposed to be using Chebyshev's Theorem and the Empirical Rule, but I'm not sure.

I solved (a) using Chebyshev's Theorem, since at that point in the assignment we haven't been told whether the data is symmetric (has a bell shape) or not:

We've got

mean = 1500
standard deviation = 80

Since the problem is asking for the light bulbs that lasted between 1300 and 1700 hours until failure - that is, the interval (1300, 1700) - I note that for k = 3 standard deviations from the mean, we have an interval of hours of operation until failure of

(mean - 3 (standard deviation), mean + 3 (standard deviation)) = (1500 - 3(80) , 1500 + 3(80)) = (1260, 1740)

which would indicate that the percentage of the light bulbs that lasted between the specified interval is given by

100(1 - 1/(3)2)% = 100(1- (1/9))% ≈ 89%

This is where I'm a little confused. The problem is asking for the number of light bulbs whose hours of operation fall within the interval (1300, 1700), but the interval given by adding/subtracting 3 standard deviations is (1260, 1740), which is a little too far; by contrast, the interval given by using k = 2 isn't far enough.

Now, I have noticed that the interval (1300, 1700) ⊆ (1260, 1740) since every point in the former is a member of the latter, but does that make it okay to apply Chebyshev's Rule here?

I have a similar concern about (b). Since the data set is bell-shaped and thus roughly symmetrical, I used the Empirical Rule.

The interval given by the problem is (1340, 1580).

Since the interval calculated by using 2 standard deviations from the mean is

(1500 - 2(80) , 1500 + 2(80)) = (1340, 1660)

and (1340, 1580) ⊆ (1340, 1660) by the same reasoning used earlier, I conclude that based on the Empirical Rule, at least 95.4% of values must fall within the specified range, which would yield

500 * (0.954) = 477 lightbulbs

lasted between 1340 and 1580 hours. Is this correct, or am I misusing these rules? I've seen some classmates doing calculations that involved p-values and z-scores, am I supposed to be using those instead?

Attachments

• 6t6pAkk.png
    6t6pAkk.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 831
Physics news on Phys.org
Enharmonics said:
Empirical Rule: For a symmetrical data set, approximately
That is only true for Gaussian distributions. You can't use this in (a).

Symmetry and bell shape are not the same. There are many symmetric distributions that don't have a bell shape.
Enharmonics said:
I solved (a) using Chebyshev's Theorem
Good.
Enharmonics said:
This is where I'm a little confused. The problem is asking for the number of light bulbs whose hours of operation fall within the interval (1300, 1700), but the interval given by adding/subtracting 3 standard deviations is (1260, 1740), which is a little too far; by contrast, the interval given by using k = 2 isn't far enough.
Chebyshev's Theorem works with every (non-negative real) value k, you don't have to use integers. And you can't use integer k values here.
Enharmonics said:
I have a similar concern about (b). Since the data set is bell-shaped and thus roughly symmetrical, I used the Empirical Rule.
It is not roughly symmetrical, it is exactly symmetrical and follows a Gaussian distribution (I guess that's what you call "bell shape"). Same as above: You are not limited to integers.

Likes Enharmonics
Enharmonics said:
mean = 1500
standard deviation = 80

Since the problem is asking for the light bulbs that lasted between 1300 and 1700 hours until failure - that is, the interval (1300, 1700)

If you are using tables of a normal distribution, you can find the probability that a sample lies between non-integer multiples of a standard deviation from the mean. You should be able to use a table or a calculator to find the probability that a lifetime is within ##\pm 200/80## ths of standard deviation from the mean.

Perhaps you text materials have covered "z-scores". The z-score of a value X drawn from a normal distribution of mean ##\mu## and standard devation ##\sigma## is defined to be ##z_X = \frac{(x - \mu)}{\sigma}##. The z-score measures how many standard deviations ##X## is from the mean.

Tables of the standard normal distribution will let you find the probability that sample is between two z-scores - such as -1.73 to 0.82. You can't read such an answer from the table in one step. You have to do some reasoning and simple arthmetic.

Likes Enharmonics

1. What is the formula for calculating standard deviation?

The formula for calculating standard deviation is:
σ = √(∑(x-μ)^2/n), where σ represents the standard deviation, ∑ represents the sum of the values, x represents each value, μ represents the mean, and n represents the total number of values.

2. How is standard deviation used in data analysis?

Standard deviation is used to measure the spread of data around the mean. It helps to identify the degree of variation or dispersion in a set of data. A low standard deviation indicates that the data points are close to the mean, while a high standard deviation indicates that the data points are more spread out.

3. What is the relationship between standard deviation and variance?

Variance is the squared value of the standard deviation, and it measures the average distance of data points from the mean. In other words, variance is a measure of the spread of data, similar to standard deviation. However, standard deviation is in the same unit as the data, while variance is in squared units.

4. How can standard deviation and mean be used to identify outliers in a dataset?

Standard deviation and mean can be used together to identify outliers in a dataset. Outliers are data points that are significantly different from the rest of the data. Generally, any data point that is more than 3 standard deviations away from the mean can be considered an outlier.

5. Can standard deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero. A negative value would indicate that the data points are on average below the mean, which is not possible.