How to Remove Iodine Smell from Hands?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of getting rid of the strong smell of iodine solution from one's hands. Suggestions such as using scented hand lotion, taking a long shower, or using lemon juice, hydrochloric acid, or thiosulfate as a mild reducing agent are mentioned. One person even suggests rubbing dog doo on their hands to get rid of the smell. Ultimately, one person jokingly suggests cutting off their hand, while another suggests growing their hand back with lemon juice.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know how i can get this dang iodine solution smell off my hands. Stupid chemistry!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you got iodine on your hands, that smell is probably oxidized flesh. It won't go away.

So I have to chop my hands off?

Well you got to do what you got to do...

Scented hand lotion? A long shower? Hang out with me, I won't smell it to make fun of you because I'm around betadine surgical scrub all day long (and smell like iodine too...is it any wonder I'm still single :rolleyes:)?

Pengwuino said:
Does anyone know how i can get this dang iodine solution smell off my hands. Stupid chemistry!
How about rubbing some dog doo on your hands. That will get rid of the iodine smell.

Too late, i already cut my flipper off.

Thiosulfate --- mild reducing agent.

Lemon juice works really good, incase you grow your flipper back.

Hydochloric acid works good for iodine. 67% works best at neutralizing the smell.

I'll take the lemon juice since I don't believe we have any hydrochloric acid in our kitchen :P

Come on...do the dog doo.

1. How do I get rid of the iodine smell on my skin?

The best way to remove the iodine smell from your skin is to wash the affected area with soap and warm water. You can also use a mild exfoliant or rubbing alcohol to help break down and remove the iodine molecules.

2. What can I do to remove the iodine smell from my clothes?

To remove the iodine smell from your clothes, you can try soaking them in a mixture of water and vinegar, or using a commercial odor-eliminating laundry detergent. You may need to wash the clothes multiple times to completely get rid of the smell.

3. How can I get the iodine smell out of my hair?

If you got iodine in your hair, you can use a clarifying shampoo to help remove the smell. You can also try mixing baking soda with water to create a paste and applying it to your hair, letting it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out.

4. Is there a way to prevent the iodine smell from lingering on my skin?

One way to prevent the iodine smell from lingering on your skin is to apply a layer of petroleum jelly or coconut oil to the affected area before using iodine. This can create a barrier between your skin and the iodine, making it easier to wash off later.

5. Can I use any household products to remove the iodine smell?

Yes, there are several household products that can help remove the iodine smell. These include vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and hydrogen peroxide. You may need to mix them with water or use them in a specific way, so be sure to research the best method for the product you choose.