Simple Collisions Question Solution | Conservation of Momentum

• Thread starter hasnain721
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation was about a solved simple collisions question involving gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, and momentum. The participants discussed the formulas and calculations used to arrive at the correct answer for each part of the question. There was a minor error in the mass used in the momentum calculation, but the participants eventually arrived at the correct answer. The conversation ended with confirmation that the final answer for part c was correct.
hasnain721
[SOLVED] simple collisions question

Homework Statement

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1253/28157442gm4.jpg

Homework Equations

√(2gh)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Gravitational potential energy = kinetic energy

this gives u

√(2gh)

= 0.815 metres

b)
i)
In a closed system, total momentum is always conserved.

ii)

Momentum before = momentum after

momentum before :
mass X velocity
(80/100) kg X 4 m/s = 0.32kgm/s

momentum after :
mass X velocity
((80/100) X 3) kg X x = 0.32 kgm/s

therefore x = 1.33 m/s

Is that rite?

and for c) :

ah i get it now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All is fine up to the momentum calculations where you use (80/100) as the mass. This should be (80/1000) or (8/100). You seem to have the right value for the momentum though so that's probably just a typo. What did you get for part c?

EDIT: Just noticed you've solved it.

Kurdt said:
All is fine up to the momentum calculations where you use (80/100) as the mass. This should be (80/1000) or (8/100). What did you get for part c?

oh yes srry! for part c i got : 2.67 seconds is tht rite?

hasnain721 said:
oh yes srry! for part c i got : 2.67 seconds is tht rite?

Looks fine to me.

Kurdt said:
Looks fine to me.

cheers!

1. What is a simple collision?

A simple collision is a type of collision between two objects where the objects do not stick together after they collide and their shapes are not drastically changed. It is a basic type of collision that is widely used in physics experiments and simulations.

2. How is the speed of objects affected in a simple collision?

In a simple collision, the speed of the objects after the collision depends on the masses and velocities of the objects before the collision. The total momentum of the system remains the same, but the individual velocities may change depending on the masses of the objects.

3. What is conservation of momentum in simple collisions?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. In simple collisions, this means that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision should be the same.

4. What factors affect the outcome of a simple collision?

The outcome of a simple collision can be affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle of collision, and the presence of any external forces. These factors can determine the final velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.

5. How is energy conserved in simple collisions?

In a simple collision, energy is conserved through the law of conservation of energy. The total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision should be equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision, taking into account any losses due to external forces like friction. This principle is also known as the law of conservation of energy.