For All Positive Numbers: Is y the Solution?

I was just trying to summarize the conversation and provide a brief explanation of the meaning of the statement. The conversation was discussing the use of "for all" after "such that" and I was trying to clarify that it is not always necessary to have "for all" in that context.
soopo

Homework Statement

There exists y > 0 such that [[tex]y^{2} = x[/tex] if and only if [tex]x > 0[/tex]].

This means that "there is some positive number whose square equals all positive
numbers." - St. John College, Oxford

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about this statement "- - some positive number whose square equals
all positive numbers", and particularly about the word "all".

I would read the statement as
If [tex] \exists y > 0[/tex], then [tex]\exists [ y^{2} = x[/tex] if and only if [tex]x > 0] [/tex]

It seems that the statement should be read as
If [tex] \exists y > 0[/tex], then [tex]\forall [ y^{2} = x[/tex] if and only if [tex]x > 0] [/tex]

Is there always "for all" after "such that"?

Physics news on Phys.org
soopo said:

Homework Statement

There exists y > 0 such that [[tex]y^{2} = x[/tex] if and only if [tex]x > 0[/tex]].

This means that "there is some positive number whose square equals all positive
numbers." - St. John College, Oxford

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about this statement "- - some positive number whose square equals
all positive numbers", and particularly about the word "all".

I would read the statement as
If [tex] \exists y > 0[/tex], then [tex]\exists [ y^{2} = x[/tex] if and only if [tex]x > 0] [/tex]
You don't say "there exists" a statement. "There exists" and "for all" only apply to variables.

It seems that the statement should be read as
If [tex] \exists y > 0[/tex], then [tex]\forall [ y^{2} = x[/tex] if and only if [tex]x > 0] [/tex]

Is there always "for all" after "such that"?
Not necessarily. There exist x> 0 such that x2= 4. That has no "for all". Try thinking about what "for all" means rather than looking for general rules.

HallsofIvy said:
Try thinking about what "for all" means rather than looking for general rules.

It seems that we need to make statements true for a given context.

For example, the above example with "for all" is false, whereas right with the "exists". It is nonsense to say that there exists one positive real number whose square equals all positive numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
You don't say "there exists" a statement. "There exists" and "for all" only apply to variables.
The quantifiers apply to the variables. I agree with you about that.

1. What does the phrase "For All Positive Numbers" mean?

The phrase "For All Positive Numbers" means that the statement or equation being discussed applies to all numbers greater than 0.

2. How do you determine if y is the solution for a given equation?

To determine if y is the solution for a given equation, you can plug in the value of y and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then y is the solution.

3. Why is it important to specify positive numbers in this context?

Specifying positive numbers is important because some equations or statements may only be true for positive numbers, and not for negative numbers or 0. It helps to narrow down the scope of the equation and ensure that the solution is valid.

4. Can y be a negative number and still be considered a solution?

It depends on the context of the equation or statement. If the equation or statement explicitly states that y must be positive, then a negative number would not be considered a solution. However, if the equation or statement is true for both positive and negative numbers, then y could be a negative number and still be a solution.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of y being the solution for positive numbers?

There may be exceptions depending on the specific equation or statement being discussed. It is important to carefully consider the context and any given restrictions before determining if y is the solution for positive numbers.