Is Sleeping 14 Hours After Night Shifts Normal?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the person experienced 14 hours of uninterrupted sleep, which was quite unusual for them. The person's breath smelled bad and they had to go brush their teeth. The person's eyes watered when they woke up.
tribdog
I just slept for 14 hours straight. I haven't done that in years. I had been getting by on about 4 or5 hours a night for the last couple of weeks, but 14 is a bit ridiculous wouldn't you say?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, geez, and I thought it was bad that I slept until noon! That was, hmm, well, probably 9 hours. :biggrin: It's disorienting when you sleep that much; weird to nearly miss the whole day, isn't it?

Dreaming of you makes a body not want to wake.

tribdog said:
Dreaming of you makes a body not want to wake.

And lying next to me makes a body not want to sleep. A bit of a conundrum you have there. :biggrin:

conundrum is such a cool word. I might actually go out into the real world for a couple hours and see if I can use it in a sentence a couple of times.

LOL! I was very pleased to have an opportunity to use it myself. Sort of rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

one thing about sleeping 14 hours straight, my breath is killing me. wow, I got to go brush me teeth.

Too much information!

no, I'm being serious, smell your monitor, I'll breathe on mine..hhhhhhaaaaaaaaa...horrible isn't it.

did your eyes water?

[cough] [gasp] Why do I listen to you?

I'm going back to bed. Just got up and flipped on the light and the light bulb blew.

I bet even the college students here can't manage to be that much of a slug! Wow, sleep 14 hours, then go back to bed because it's too much trouble to change a light bulb.

I'm trying to remember if it was a Dilbert cartoon that said something like, "The only cure for sleeping too much is to go back to bed."

I was working midnights during the summer, and sometimes you would only get like 5 hours sleep in 3 days for some unknown reason. After that you go to bed, you wake up not knowing what day it is or if its 2 in the morning or afternoon. Good god, night shifts mess you up!

Related to Is Sleeping 14 Hours After Night Shifts Normal?

1. What causes time to feel like it is moving faster?

There are a few factors that can contribute to the perception of time moving faster. One is our brain's ability to adapt to routine and familiar activities, which can make time seem to pass more quickly. Another factor is our level of engagement in an activity - time tends to feel slower when we are bored or less engaged. Additionally, as we age, our internal clock may speed up, making time seem to pass faster.

2. Is there a way to slow down time?

While we cannot physically slow down time, there are ways to make it feel like it is passing slower. Engaging in new and challenging activities, focusing on the present moment, and taking breaks from routine can all help slow down our perception of time.

3. Why does time seem to pass faster when we are having fun?

When we are engaged in enjoyable activities, our brain is more focused and less distracted. This can lead to a more immersive experience, making time seem to fly by. Additionally, the release of dopamine during pleasurable activities can alter our perception of time.

4. How can we make the most of our time?

To make the most of our time, it is important to prioritize and focus on what is most important to us. Setting goals and breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks can also help us use our time more efficiently. It may also be helpful to eliminate or delegate tasks that are not essential or do not bring us joy.

5. Can our perception of time change?

Yes, our perception of time can change based on a variety of factors, including our emotional state, level of engagement, and external stimuli. It is also possible to train our brains to perceive time differently through practices such as mindfulness and meditation.