Is V Isomorphic to R^2 Under the Given Mapping?

In summary, you can show that V is a subspace of the R-vector space of all maps from R to R, and that V is isomorphic to R^2 under the map f. To show that f is linear, you need to show that the properties of a linear map are true at the moment. However, you are having difficulty showing this.
Mitch_C

Homework Statement

Let V={a cosx + b sinx | a,b [tex]\in[/tex] R}

(a) Show that V is a subspace of the R-vector space of all maps from R to R.

(b) Show that V is isomorphic to R^2, under the map
f: V[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R^2
a cosx + b sinx [tex]\rightleftharpoons[/tex] [ a over b ] (this is supposed to be a matrix with a above and b below, couldn't find it in the Latex reference)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part (a) okay so it's just part (b) I need a hand with. So I know V is isomorphic to R^2 if the map f is linear and the dimV = dim R^2.

I think I sort of showed that the dimensions are equal by taking a basis of {0 , cosx + sinx}. Is that basis okay? And am I right in thinking that because that has two elements dimV=2 and obviously dimR^2= 2 yeah?

So assuming that all that's ok so far I'm kind of stuck showing that it's linear. The properties of a linear map are f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) and f(av)= af(v) where u,v[tex]\in[/tex]V and a[tex]\in[/tex] R. I'm trying to show those properties are true at the minute but having some difficulty. Am I on the right track at least?

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you construct sinx from the set {0, cosx + sinx}?

Also any set containing zero is not linearly independent since 1*0=0 so there is a non-trivial linear combination which gives zero.

Mitch_C said:

Homework Statement

Let V={a cosx + b sinx | a,b [tex]\in[/tex] R}

(a) Show that V is a subspace of the R-vector space of all maps from R to R.

(b) Show that V is isomorphic to R^2, under the map
f: V[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R^2
a cosx + b sinx [tex]\rightleftharpoons[/tex] [ a over b ] (this is supposed to be a matrix with a above and b below, couldn't find it in the Latex reference)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part (a) okay so it's just part (b) I need a hand with. So I know V is isomorphic to R^2 if the map f is linear and the dimV = dim R^2.

I think I sort of showed that the dimensions are equal by taking a basis of {0 , cosx + sinx}. Is that basis okay?
No, it is NOT okay. A basis never includes the 0 vector. Try {cos x, sin x} instead.
And am I right in thinking that because that has two elements dimV=2 and obviously dimR^2= 2 yeah?

So assuming that all that's ok so far I'm kind of stuck showing that it's linear. The properties of a linear map are f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) and f(av)= af(v) where u,v[tex]\in[/tex]V and a[tex]\in[/tex] R. I'm trying to show those properties are true at the minute but having some difficulty. Am I on the right track at least?

thanks in advance!
"\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b\end{bmatrix}" gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If u= a cos(x)+ b sin(x) and v= c cos(x)+ d sin(x), what is u+ v?

[tex]f(u)= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]f(v)= \begin{bmatrix}c \\ d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

what is f(u+ v)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. Looking back on it the basis I picked is obviously not a basis I just wasn't thinking. Spelling out for me what f(u) equals really helped. When I came back to it I solved it in about 10mins!

Thanks again! :)

1. What is a linear map?

A linear map, also known as a linear transformation, is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a linear map to be isomorphic?

A linear map is said to be isomorphic if it is a bijective function, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto, and preserves the structure of the vector spaces it maps between.

3. How can I determine if two linear maps are isomorphic?

To determine if two linear maps are isomorphic, you can check if they have the same dimension and if their matrices are invertible. If both conditions are met, then the maps are isomorphic.

4. Why is it important for a linear map to be isomorphic?

Isomorphic linear maps allow for a one-to-one correspondence between vector spaces, making it easier to study and compare them. It also allows for the transfer of properties and operations from one vector space to another.

5. Can a linear map be isomorphic to itself?

Yes, a linear map can be isomorphic to itself. This is known as an automorphism, and it is a special case of isomorphism where the vector spaces being mapped between are the same.