Where Did I Go Wrong in Power Calculation for Circuit Homework?

Sorry about that. So the 4 sourcing elements are: A, B, E, F. And the 2 sinking elements are: C, D.In summary, the circuit has 4 sourcing elements where current flows from lower potential to higher potential, and 2 sinking elements where current flows from higher potential to lower potential. The summation of power delivered is 315.xx [mW] and the summation of power absorbed is also 315.xx [mW].
harrisiqbal

Homework Statement

001453a8ba9edc1b4b0e34f120b7ae262g.jpg

vT = 10.3[V], vW = -7.6[V], vX = -8.4[V], vY = -9.5[V], vZ = 1.9[V]
iM = 3.3[mA], iN = 24.1[mA], iP = 15.2[mA], iQ = -18.5[mA], iR = 5.6[mA], iS = -8.9[mA]

Homework Equations

P = vi or P = -vi

mA = miliamps

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I used the passive convention and so when the current flow was going from the positive terminals to the negative I used P = vi. And when current flow was going from the negative terminal to the positive I used P = -vi.

I can't seem to get the right answer..

Apparently the right answer is

Summation of Power Delivered = 315.xx [mW]
Summation of Power Absorbed = 315.xx [mW]

I am not getting these answers when I add up my positive and negative power values...

Could someone please explain how I would work my way around the circuit schematic to solve this problem and if possible the solution as well

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing I did was flip the directions of any currents and voltages so that they're all positive. For example, the voltage across A would be +8.4 V with the plus sign on the right end and the minus sign on the left end. Similarly, I'd flip the direction of the current through B so that it flows to the right and is equal to +8.9 mA. That'll get rid of the problem of trying to keep track of all the signs.

After you do that, you should find only two elements are sources, where the current flows from lower potential to higher potential. The rest are sinks, where current flows from higher potential to lower potential.

I did what you asked Vela. I flipped the Polarities of the Voltages that were given negative values and I switched the direction of current which was given negative values.

Now I have another problem.

You said that Developing Elements are where current goes from - >> + and Absorbing Element are ones where current goes vice versa.

In my modified diagram,

iR goes from negative to positive
iS goes from negative into positive
iQ goes from negative to positive
iP goes from negative to positive
iM goes from negative [ Vw] to positive

So that would mean that there are 5 sourcing elements and 1 sink element. The sink element being the F element with vT & incoming current iN. Going from Positive to Negative.

What am I doing wrong?

Help please +(

Actually I need one more thing clarified. Which current is flowing through Element C?

Ignore my last two responses.

I did get the right answer but I have an issue with a statement you made.

You said that, "find only two elements are sources, where the current flows from lower potential to higher potential. The rest are sinks, where current flows from higher potential to lower potential".

But when I modified the polarities and current directions like you said. You get 4 sourcing Elements where current is going through a voltage rise. - >> +

And 2 sinking elements where current is going through a voltage drop. + >> -

Did you perhaps make a mistake? Or am I missing something?

I just rechecked a few elements, and it looks like I indeed got it backwards.

FAQ: Where Did I Go Wrong in Power Calculation for Circuit Homework?

1. What is power calculation in a circuit?

Power calculation in a circuit is the process of determining the amount of electrical power being used or delivered within a circuit. It is typically measured in watts and is an important factor in understanding the overall efficiency and performance of a circuit.

2. How is power calculated in a circuit?

Power in a circuit can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. This formula is known as Joule's Law and is based on the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

3. What is the significance of power calculation in a circuit?

Power calculation is important in a circuit because it allows us to understand the energy consumption and efficiency of a circuit. It also helps in determining the appropriate size and rating of components, such as resistors and capacitors, to ensure the circuit operates safely and effectively.

4. Can power be increased in a circuit?

Yes, power can be increased in a circuit by either increasing the voltage or increasing the current. However, it is important to note that increasing the power in a circuit can also lead to an increase in heat and potential safety hazards.

5. How can power losses be minimized in a circuit?

Power losses in a circuit can be minimized by using components with lower resistance, reducing the length of the circuit, and ensuring proper insulation and grounding. It is also important to regularly maintain and check for any faulty components in the circuit.