Linear Algebra - Determinant functions

In summary, Homework Equations prove that -D(0) = 0-D(A) = 0 if A2= 0-D(B) = -D(A) if B is obtained by interchanging the rows of A-D(A) = 0 if one row of A is 0-D(A) = 0 whenever A is singular
WiFO215

Homework Statement

Let R be the field of real numbers, and let D be a function on 2x2 matrices over R, with values in R, such that D(AB) = D(A)D(B) for all A, B. Suppose that D(I) != D ([0 1 1 0])

Prove that
a) D(0) = 0
b) D(A) = 0 if A2= 0
c) D(B) = -D(A) if B is obtained by interchanging the rows of A
d) D(A) = 0 if one row of A is 0
e) D(A) = 0 whenever A is singular

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove a) by assuming A=B=0. But that also leaves the case that D(0) = 1 which I don't know how to disprove. I'm clueless on the rest of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, try letting B unspecified (arbitrary).
For the second one, use A = B.

For the third one, use that D(I) is not equal to D(J) where I=[[1,0],[0,1]] and J=[[0,1],[1,0]]. If D(I)=1 then D(J) MUST be -1. Can you show that using I^2=J^2=I? Now use that for any matrix A, JA is A with the rows interchanged.

Dick said:
For the third one, use that D(I) is not equal to D(J) where I=[[1,0],[0,1]] and J=[[0,1],[1,0]]. If D(I)=1 then D(J) MUST be -1. Can you show that using I^2=J^2=I? Now use that for any matrix A, JA is A with the rows interchanged.

That one's kinda brilliant :)

CompuChip said:
That one's kinda brilliant :)

Kinda fun is what it is. That's a cute problem.

I proved e) and therefore automatically proved d) as follows.

Let Q be the matrix [ [1 -1] [1 -1] ]. I have some singular function which will be of the form P = [ [X Y] [cX cY] ] where c is some arbitrary constant. Let L = [ [X Y] [0 0] ]

Now Q times L is [ [X Y] [X Y] ] which is singular. Other singular matrices P can be made by "modifying" the bottom row of Q i.e. multiplying the bottom row of Q by some scalar c will give you any other singular function of the form P that can be made from L. So let us consider the most basic case.

D(QL) = D(Q)D(L) ... Given
but D(Q) = 0 since Q2 = 0
Now, D(QL) = D(P) since QL = P
So, D(QL) = 0 = D(P)

Therefore, since c can take value zero also, the above result is true for ANY singular matrix, inluding L itself. Hence d) is also proved.

Dick that was awesome!Thanks! Thanks CompuChip! Check my above post too.

Here's part of a follow up question to that question (I proved the first part myself)

D is an alternating 2-linear function on 2x2 matrices over some commutative ring K with identity. Using D(A) = det A D(I) show that det (AB) = (detA)(detB) without using computations with the entries.

I proved that D(A) = det (A) D(I) for 2x2 matrices, but I can't seem to prove that second part.

Can't you just write
det(AB) = D(AB) / D(I)
because D(I) is non-zero, and use what you know about D, in particular D(AB)?

But for this follow up question, I cannot assume that D(AB) = D(A)D(B) and it is not given so.

1. What is a determinant in linear algebra?

A determinant is a mathematical function that takes a square matrix as its input and returns a scalar value. In linear algebra, it is used to determine various properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible and the volume of a parallelepiped formed by its column vectors.

2. How is the determinant calculated?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix can be calculated by multiplying the elements in the main diagonal and subtracting the product of the elements in the other diagonal. For larger matrices, the determinant can be calculated using various methods, such as cofactor expansion or row reduction.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant is a fundamental tool in linear algebra and is used to solve systems of linear equations, find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determine whether a matrix is invertible. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations.

4. Can the determinant be negative or zero?

Yes, the determinant can be negative, positive, or zero. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix is invertible but reflects the orientation of the space it operates in. A positive determinant indicates that the matrix preserves orientation, and a zero determinant indicates that the matrix is singular and not invertible.

5. Are there any alternative ways to calculate the determinant?

Yes, there are alternative ways to calculate the determinant, such as using the Leibniz formula or the Laplace expansion. These methods can be useful for larger matrices or when certain patterns are present in the matrix that can simplify the calculation.