Does the Hamiltonian Symmetry Extend to All N Dimensions?

In summary, the Hamiltonian is symmetric and the equation of motion for N>2 has no analytical solution, but the general solution for N=2 is a good approximation for the qualitative behavior of the system.
Bamsen

Homework Statement

I shall consider the Hamilton

H(q,p)=1/2\sum{p_l^2}+1/2\sum{q_l^2}+\gamma(\sum{q_l^2})^2

all the sums if from l=1 to l=N. (gamma is bigger or equal to zero) I shall discuss the symmetry/asymmetry plus determine that the form of the qeneral solution is qualitative similar to the form of the general N=2 solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit helpless so any advice would be helpfull. I tried to look at the equations of motions ...but i all the time get problems with the last coupled term. SO please help...

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
I shall consider the HamiltonH(q,p)=1/2\sum{p_l^2}+1/2\sum{q_l^2}+\gamma(\sum{q_l^2})^2all the sums if from l=1 to l=N. (gamma is bigger or equal to zero) I shall discuss the symmetry/asymmetry plus determine that the form of the qeneral solution is qualitative similar to the form of the general N=2 solution.Homework Equations The Attempt at a SolutionThe Hamiltonian is symmetric under permutation of any two coordinates, since it is a sum of squares of coordinates and momenta. The equations of motion are given by: \dot{q_l} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_l} = p_l\dot{p_l} = -\frac{\partial H}{\partial q_l} = -q_l - 4\gamma \left(\sum_{m=1}^N q_m^2\right) q_lThis is a system of coupled differential equations with no analytical solution in terms of simple functions. However, for N=2, the general solution can be written as follows: q_1(t) = A_1 cos(\omega t + \phi_1) + B_1 sin(\omega t + \phi_2)q_2(t) = A_2 cos(\omega t + \phi_3) + B_2 sin(\omega t + \phi_4)where A_1, A_2, B_1, B_2, $\phi_1$, $\phi_2$, $\phi_3$ and $\phi_4$ are constants of integration. For general N, the general solution will have a similar form, with N sets of parameters instead of just 4.

What is the Symmetry of Hamilton?

The Symmetry of Hamilton refers to the principle of Hamiltonian symmetry, which states that the equations of motion for a physical system remain unchanged under certain transformations of the coordinates and momenta.

What are the transformations that preserve the Symmetry of Hamilton?

Transformations that preserve the Symmetry of Hamilton include translations, rotations, and time translations. These transformations are known as symmetries because they leave the underlying physics of a system unchanged.

Why is the Symmetry of Hamilton important in physics?

The Symmetry of Hamilton is important in physics because it allows us to simplify and solve complex systems by reducing the number of equations that need to be solved. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying physical laws and principles governing a system.

How is the Symmetry of Hamilton related to conservation laws?

The Symmetry of Hamilton is closely related to conservation laws because symmetries in a system correspond to conserved quantities. For example, the symmetry of translation invariance leads to the conservation of linear momentum, and the symmetry of time translation leads to the conservation of energy.

What are some real-world applications of the Symmetry of Hamilton?

The Symmetry of Hamilton has numerous applications in various fields of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is also used in the study of physical systems such as celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and particle physics.