Particle in a box, some clarification please

In summary, the energy state of a particle in a box can be calculated using the equation E = (nh)^2 / 8mL^2. This represents the total energy of the particle, which includes its kinetic energy. When asked for the energy of the n=1 state, you can simply plug in the value of n and calculate the energy. However, if given a specific kinetic energy value, you can rearrange the equation to solve for n, but the resulting value may not always be a whole number. This is because there are no limits for the quantum number in a particle in a box problem.
rwooduk
the energy of an n state can be given by:

E = (nh)^2 / 8mL^2

is this a representation of the Kinetic energy of the particle? i thought it was but this question has got me confused.

it asks for the Energy of the n=1 state, which I've done. then it asks what quantum number, n would be needed if the Kinetic Energy was 0.025eV.

i rearranged the above eqn for n and put E= (0.025ev X 1.6x10^-19 ), but get something stupid as a result.

so, is E the energy of the state of the particle OR it's kinetic energy OR both?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, the energy state is the total energy, but as you only have kinetic energy, it should be straight forward, as you've done.

Likes 1 person
The potential in the case of particle in a box problem,is zero inside the box and greater than zero outside it.So inside the box,the total energy of the particle is equal to its kinetic energy.

Likes 1 person
yes this is as i suspected, i get a stupidly high number for n and its not a whole number either! will recalculate.

thanks for the replies!

Well, getting a whole number for n is quite unrealistic, when you think about the numbers and decimals, you are using.

Also I don't think there are any limits for the quantum number for a particle in a box.

1. What is a "Particle in a box"?

A "Particle in a box" refers to a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a single particle confined within a finite region of space. The particle is restricted to move within the boundaries of the box and cannot escape.

2. How does the particle behave in a box?

The behavior of the particle in a box is described by the Schrödinger equation, which gives the probability of finding the particle at a certain position within the box at a given time. The particle's behavior is characterized by discrete energy levels and standing wave patterns.

3. What is the significance of a "particle in a box" model?

The "particle in a box" model is significant because it helps us understand the quantization of energy in quantum systems. It also serves as a simple and important example of how confinement can affect a particle's behavior.

4. Can a "particle in a box" model be applied to real-world systems?

While the "particle in a box" model is a simplified version of reality, it can be applied to real-world systems such as electrons in an atom or photons in a cavity. However, these systems are more complex and require additional factors to accurately describe their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to the "particle in a box" model?

Yes, the "particle in a box" model has limitations. It assumes that the walls of the box are infinitely high and that the particle does not interact with its surroundings. In reality, particles may interact with other particles or their surroundings, and the walls of the box may not be infinitely high. These factors can affect the behavior of the particle and may require a more complex model to accurately describe it.