Register to reply

MRI and k-space traversal

by chatsash
Tags: kspace, traversal
Share this thread:
chatsash
Jun11-14, 06:19 PM
P: 7
I just started doing research in MRI coil design for my professor and I'm trying to figure out some basic concepts. In particular, how does the Fourier transform and k-space play a role in the signal acquisition? From my reading, I just know that somehow the signal is acquired in k space and is reverse Fourier transformed back into spatial domain to produce the image. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shak
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
American Ebola doc: 'I am thrilled to be alive'
Instant noodles carry health risks for women: study
Extracorporeal support can significantly increase number of organs for transplant
MisterX
Jun11-14, 08:01 PM
P: 581
This will be covered in any basic treatment of image reconstruction with magnetic resonance imaging.

Very briefly, a spatially varying magnetic field is applied which causes a spatially varying Larmor frequency. Thus information about the source of radiation can be inferred from the frequency of that radiation.

As you may or may not know, for EM radiation the angular frequency [itex]\omega = ck[/itex], so frequency [itex]f[/itex], angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex], and [itex]k[/itex] (the wavenumber or magnitude of the wavevector), may all be used somewhat interchangeably.

Register to reply