Cal II question with physics involved.

• Thread starter oinkbanana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation involved three math questions for a Calculus II class. The first question involved finding the total mass of a metal rod with length "l" if the density at every point is proportional to the cube of the distance from the left end with coefficient of proportionality "k". The second question involved finding the work done in raising a 50 ft long chain with a weight of 1 lb/ft to a horizontal position at the level of the top of the chain. The third question involved finding the work done in moving two particles with an inverse square repelling force from a point 3 units to the left of the origin to the origin. The solutions included using calculus to find the total mass of
oinkbanana
hey. I got these three math questions that I can't figure out. These are for a Calculus II class. it's the "word problem" & physics part of it that confuses me, because if i was given an equation to figure out I'm certain i could do it. but i'll follow your guidelines and give it a shot.

Question A)

Homework Statement

Find the total mass of a metal rod with length "l" if the density at every point is proportional to the cube of the distance from the left end of the rod with coefficient of proportionality "k".

Homework Equations

since its' a rod, we'll use disc method to find the total volume
& p=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

pi * integral from one to infinity of (k/(x^3))^2

pi*k*(1/-5x^5) ] from one to infinity
=pi*k/-5
Question B)

Homework Statement

b) a chain 50 ft long and weighing 1 lb/ft is hanging vertically. How much work is done in raising the chain to a horizontal position at the level of the top of the chain?

Homework Equations

W=F*d

i'll try a Sum attempt by breaking it into 25 parts of 1 feet ; where I'm raising the bottom of the chain by 2 foot.
(1 foot of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)+(2 feet of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)+(3 foot of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)...+(25 foot of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)
=25! feet of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot

work done = 25!*2

I believe this problem might need me to use hyperbolic functions, which were not covered..Question C)

Homework Statement

c) Two particles repel each other with a force inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. If one particle remains fixed at a point on the x-axis 2 units to the right of the origin, find the work done in moving the second particle along the x-axis from a point 3 units to the left of the origin to the origin if the coefficient of proportionality is k.

Homework Equations

?

integral from -5 to -2 of (1/k)*d
=(25/2k)-(4/2k)
=21/2k

any help on any of these three problems will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
oinkbanana said:
hey. I got these three math questions that I can't figure out. These are for a Calculus II class. it's the "word problem" & physics part of it that confuses me, because if i was given an equation to figure out I'm certain i could do it. but i'll follow your guidelines and give it a shot.

Question A)

Homework Statement

Find the total mass of a metal rod with length "l" if the density at every point is proportional to the cube of the distance from the left end of the rod with coefficient of proportionality "k".

Homework Equations

since its' a rod, we'll use disc method to find the total volume
& p=m/v

pi * integral from one to infinity of (k/(x^3))^2

pi*k*(1/-5x^5) ] from one to infinity
=pi*k/-5
Why do you have pi in the expressions above? And why are you using disks? What you need to do is to find an expression that gives the mass of a typical mass element, [itex]\Delta m[/itex]. You are given that the density (which I think you can assume is in units of mass/length rather than mass/ volume) is proportional to the cube of the distance from the left end.

Let x = the distance your typical mass element is from the left end of the rod.
So d = kx^3.
Now, the mass of the typical mass element will be its density times its length. Your total mass will be the integral over the length of the rod of all of the typical mass elements.
oinkbanana said:
Question B)

Homework Statement

b) a chain 50 ft long and weighing 1 lb/ft is hanging vertically. How much work is done in raising the chain to a horizontal position at the level of the top of the chain?

Homework Equations

W=F*d

i'll try a Sum attempt by breaking it into 25 parts of 1 feet ; where I'm raising the bottom of the chain by 2 foot.
(1 foot of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)+(2 feet of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)+(3 foot of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)...+(25 foot of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot)
=25! feet of chain*2 feet * 1lb/foot

work done = 25!*2

I believe this problem might need me to use hyperbolic functions, which were not covered..

Question C)

Homework Statement

c) Two particles repel each other with a force inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. If one particle remains fixed at a point on the x-axis 2 units to the right of the origin, find the work done in moving the second particle along the x-axis from a point 3 units to the left of the origin to the origin if the coefficient of proportionality is k.

Homework Equations

?

integral from -5 to -2 of (1/k)*d
=(25/2k)-(4/2k)
=21/2k

any help on any of these three problems will be greatly appreciated!

ok.

let me know if this is correct:
Question A)
M=integral(pdV). p=kr^3 and dV=drda with da=cross section of rod. limits of integration are 0 and L.

M=(k*l^4)/4 ??
Question B)
w=fd or PE=mgh. the center of mass is at the mid point of the chain, so h or d is 25 feet. m is the mass of the chain, and g is the gravitational constant, 32 ft/s^2

25 feet * 50lb * 32 ft/s^2

=40000lb/s^2

should'nt there be calculus involved in this?Question c)
w=fd. f=k/r^2. d=dr, integrating from infinite radius to r=5.

=k/5

What is the purpose of combining calculus with physics?

Combining calculus with physics allows scientists to use mathematical tools to analyze and understand physical phenomena. It also helps in making predictions and solving real-world problems.

What are some applications of calculus in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other quantities that involve rates of change. It is also used in analyzing motion, optimizing systems, and understanding complex phenomena such as electricity and magnetism.

How does calculus help in understanding motion?

Calculus is used to describe the motion of objects by calculating their position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. It also helps in understanding the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration through differentiation and integration.

What are some key concepts in calculus that are relevant to physics?

Some key concepts in calculus that are relevant to physics include derivatives, integrals, limits, and differential equations. These concepts are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and electric fields.

What are some challenges in using calculus in physics?

One of the challenges in using calculus in physics is the need for accurate and precise measurements, as small errors can greatly affect the results. Another challenge is applying the correct mathematical models and equations to a given physical system, as some phenomena may require more complex or specialized methods.