Finding the Second Derivative Using the Chain Rule: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the chain rule is used to differentiate y'(x) from y(x). Differentiating and applying the product rule yields the result.
mastermechanic

Homework Statement

Question has been attached to topic.

Homework Equations

Chain rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac {dy}{dt} . \frac{dt}{dx} = \sqrt{t^2+1}.cos(π.t)$$
$$\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}.(\frac{dt}{dx})^2 = 2 $$
$$\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}.(t^2+1).cos^2(π.t)= 2 $$ and for the t=3/4,
$$\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}.\frac{25}{16}.\frac{1}{2} = 2 $$
$$\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = \frac{64}{25}$$
$$\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{8}{5}$$

I count the dt\dx as the function itself because it is the previous status of the function, I mean the function in the problem statement is a result of dt/dx.

Is my solution correct? Is my approach correct? If not , where am I wrong and how to solve?

Thank you!

Attachments

• asfdghjkl.PNG
    asfdghjkl.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your arithmetic on the last step. Also note that cos(3π/4) is negative but there's a sign ambiguity for (dt/dx), if you're getting it from your second equation.

Can you justify ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}\left(\frac{dt}{dx}\right)^2##?
I tried it with x=tm, y=tn and it did not seem to work.

Last edited:
John Park said:
Hmm: ##\frac d {dx} = \left( \frac {dt} {dx} \right ) \frac d {dt}## applied twice to y looked credible. But you're right: it doesn't seem to work for your case.
For typing ease, I'll use dot for d/dt and ' for d/dx.
##\dot y=y'\dot x##
Differentiating and applying the product rule:
##\ddot y=\dot x \frac d{dt}y'+y'\ddot x##
##=\dot x \frac {dx}{dt}y"+y'\ddot x##
##=\dot x^2y"+y'\ddot x##.
That checks out with my example.

Likes John Park
Looks good. I can insist to myself that I've learned from the experience.

1. What is the Second Derivative Chain Rule?

The Second Derivative Chain Rule is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the second derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. It is used to evaluate the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. How is the Second Derivative Chain Rule different from the First Derivative Chain Rule?

The Second Derivative Chain Rule is used to find the second derivative of a function, while the First Derivative Chain Rule is used to find the first derivative. The Second Derivative Chain Rule also requires the use of the first derivative in its equation.

3. What is the formula for the Second Derivative Chain Rule?

The formula for the Second Derivative Chain Rule is d2y/dx2 = d/dx (dy/dx) = d/dx (dy/dt * dt/dx), where y is the composed function, t is the intermediate variable, and x is the independent variable.

4. When is the Second Derivative Chain Rule used?

The Second Derivative Chain Rule is used in situations where we need to find the rate of change of a composed function with respect to its independent variable. It is particularly useful in calculus, physics, and engineering.

5. What are some common examples of the Second Derivative Chain Rule in real-life applications?

Some common examples of the Second Derivative Chain Rule in real-life applications include calculating the acceleration of a moving object, finding the curvature of a curve, and determining the rate of change of a chemical reaction in chemistry.