Chemistry 2 useful for physics?

In summary: I'm not sure if I'm missing something.In summary, if you want to major in physics at a university, you will need to take two semesters of chemistry. However, this does not require the lab component, which can be substituted with other courses.
torquemada
Is the second semester of college chemistry useful for a physics major - i took the first semester already. thx

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also wondering this! My physics program does not even require an introductory chemistry course, is this a problem? Should I take one as a science elective anyways?

yea same here my college doesn't even req any chem - i took chem 1 only because i started out as a bio major and will still do bio if physics kills me - i want to try physics tho

My university requires two semesters of chemistry, both of which require calculus as a pre-requisite, but do not require the lab component. You should check with your advisor; I haven't obtained my degree yet, nor do I know whether or not the chemistry one needs will be included in any of your other courses.

Here are the topics from my online course catalog:

CHEM 201 GENERAL CHEMISTRY FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS I

Principles of chemistry including stoichiometry, atomic structure, chemical bonding, molecular structure, kinetic theory of gases, solutions, equilibrium, and thermochemistry.

CHEM 202 GENERAL CHEMISTRY FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS II

Principles of chemistry including thermodynamics, electrochemistry, chemical kinetics, nuclear chemistry, metals and non-metals, coordination compounds, and properties of inorganic, organic, and biological molecules.

My university requires two semesters of chemistry plus labs for a physics degree. It'll probably be useful if you plan on going into materials science or condensed matter physics.

At our school I think Chem 2 is required of physics majors and chem 1 for engineers. Chem 1 serves as a prereq for Thermodynamics while Statistical Mechanics has a prereq of either modern physics or Physical Chem.

Overall I think its useful to understand chemistry when dealing with physics.

Chem I and II (with qualitative analysis) and a lab component required here. Are you sure that it's not required?

Related to Chemistry 2 useful for physics?

1. How does Chemistry 2 relate to physics?

Chemistry 2 is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of macroscopic and microscopic properties of matter. These properties play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and systems, which is essential in physics.

2. What are the key concepts in Chemistry 2 that are useful in physics?

Some of the key concepts in Chemistry 2 that are useful in physics include atomic and molecular structure, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, and kinetics. These concepts help in understanding the composition and behavior of matter, which is essential in physics.

3. How does Chemistry 2 help in understanding the properties of materials?

Chemistry 2 provides a fundamental understanding of the properties of materials, such as their atomic and molecular structure, bonding, and reactivity. This knowledge is crucial in physics, as it helps in understanding the physical properties and behavior of various materials.

4. Can Chemistry 2 calculations be applied in physics?

Yes, several calculations and equations used in Chemistry 2 can be applied in physics. For example, the ideal gas law, which is commonly used in chemistry to calculate the properties of gases, can also be applied in physics to determine the behavior of gases.

5. How can Chemistry 2 experiments be useful in physics?

Chemistry 2 experiments involve manipulating and observing the behavior of matter, which is also a fundamental aspect of physics. These experiments allow scientists to study the properties of matter and how they interact with each other, providing valuable insights into physical phenomena.