How Do You Calculate Input Currents and Load Voltage in a Transmission Line?

In summary, the given values are Z in = 50-j10 Ohms, i in = 2 amps, length = 2 meters, Z0 = 75 Ohms, u = 2E8 meters per second, and beta = .3 rad/m. To find I+ and I- at the input, relevant equations and personal work must be provided. The voltage at the load is also desired and further details and calculations are necessary for solving the problem. Assistance can be offered once these requirements are met.
lostinhere
Z in =50-j10 Ohms
i in=2 amps
length = 2 meters
Z0=75 Ohms
u=2E8 meters per second
beta=.3 rad/m

How do I find I+ and I- at the input?
What is the voltage at the load?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lostinhere said:
Z in =50-j10 Ohms
i in=2 amps
length = 2 meters
Z0=75 Ohms
u=2E8 meters per second
beta=.3 rad/m

How do I find I+ and I- at the input?
What is the voltage at the load?

Any help would be appreciated.

You must list the relevant equations and show us some of your own work before we can offer you tutorial assistance. How would you start this problem?

Based on the given information, we can calculate the characteristic impedance of the transmission line using the formula Z0 = (Zin * Zout)^0.5. Substituting the values, we get Zout = 75 Ohms * (50-j10 Ohms)^0.5 = 75 Ohms * (55.9-j11.2 Ohms) = 4192.5-j840 Ohms.

To find I+ and I- at the input, we can use the voltage and current relationship for a transmission line, which is I+ = (Iin + I-)/2 and I- = (Iin - I+)/2. Substituting the given values, we get I+ = (2 + I-)/2 and I- = (2 - I+)/2.

To find the voltage at the load, we can use the formula Vout = Vin * e^(-j*beta*l), where Vin is the voltage at the input, beta is the propagation constant, and l is the length of the transmission line. Substituting the values, we get Vout = (2 * e^(-j*0.3*2))/4192.5-j840 = 0.000476+j0.000095 Volts.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized cable or wire used to carry electrical energy from one point to another. It is typically made of conductive materials, such as copper or aluminum, and is designed to minimize energy loss during transmission.

2. What are the main types of transmission lines?

There are two main types of transmission lines: overhead lines and underground lines. Overhead lines are typically used for long-distance transmission, while underground lines are used for shorter distances and in urban areas.

3. How do transmission lines work?

Transmission lines work by carrying electrical energy from a power source, such as a power plant, to a destination, such as a home or business. The energy is carried through the conductive material of the line and is delivered to the destination with minimal loss.

4. What factors affect the performance of a transmission line?

The performance of a transmission line can be affected by several factors, including the length of the line, the type of material used, the amount of energy being transmitted, and external factors such as weather and interference.

5. What are some common issues with transmission lines?

Some common issues with transmission lines include power loss, voltage drops, and line faults. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors, such as weather events, equipment malfunctions, and aging infrastructure.