Multi-variable integration with polar coordination

In summary, the region described by the inequalities is an annulus (a shape like a washer) that lies outside the circle x^2 + y^2 = 4 and inside the circle x^2 + y^2 = 49. In this region, r is going to be between two values.
MasterWu77

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] of R ( sin( x^2 + y^2) ) dA where the region 4[tex]\leq[/tex] x^2+y^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 49

Homework Equations

not too sure but i know that dy dx = r d(r) d(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand how to change into polar coordinates in order to integrate. I'm unsure of how the 4[tex]\leq[/tex] x^2+y^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 49 becomes the r i need to integrate with. and if i do get that then how do i change the other bounds of integrate for the d (theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
MasterWu77 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] of R ( sin( x^2 + y^2) ) dA where the region 4[tex]\leq[/tex] x^2+y^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 49
What does "of R" mean in your integral? Does it represent the region you are describing, or is it some factor in the integrand?
MasterWu77 said:

Homework Equations

not too sure but i know that dy dx = r d(r) d(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand how to change into polar coordinates in order to integrate. I'm unsure of how the 4[tex]\leq[/tex] x^2+y^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 49 becomes the r i need to integrate with. and if i do get that then how do i change the other bounds of integrate for the d (theta)
The region described by the inequalities is an annulus (a shape like a washer) that lies outside the circle x^2 + y^2 = 4 and inside the circle x^2 + y^2 = 49. In this region, r is going to be between two values.

Your integrand is pretty simple to change to polar coordinates, since r^2 = x^2 + y^2.

the R refers to the region that is being described. sorry for not clarifying that earlier.

so with r^2 = x^2 + y^2, does that mean the bounds of d(r) would be from 4 to 49? and if so then would the bound of the integral for d(theta) be from 0 to 2(pi) since it is a complete circle?

r does NOT range from 4 to 49. Draw the circles and it should be clear to you why this is so.
[itex]\theta[/itex] does range from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex].

ah ok. i believe i see what you mean.

after looking at the circles i think i see that r ranges from 2 to 7 which would be the radius of the circles. and so from there on do i just need to a double integral of sin(r^2) r dr d(theta)? or is there some other little step I'm missing?

That's pretty much it. Your integral should look like this:
[tex]\int_{\theta = 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r = 2}^7 sin(r^2) r dr d\theta[/tex]

ok awesome. i got that integral and then attempted to solve for it.

i used a u substitution for the sin(r^2) where:
u=r^2
du= 2rdr

and i ended up with

-(1/2) [tex]\int cos(u)d(theta) [/tex]
where the integral is bounded from 0 to 2(pi) and the cos (u) goes from 4 to 49 because of the u substitution i used. i put the answer in and it said that it was incorrect

Your second integral should look like this:
[tex](-1/2)\int_{\theta = 0}^{2\pi}\left(cos(49) - cos(4)\right) d\theta[/tex]

Edit: Added multiplier to front of integral.

Last edited:
ok i got that but shouldn't there be a (-1/2) out in front of the integral to account for the u substitution?

when i solve for the integral should i get

[(cos(49)-cos(4))* 2pi]

since the there isn't originally a [tex]\theta[/tex] so by taking the integral with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] a [tex]\theta[/tex] should appear which can be bounded by the 2pi and 0

MasterWu77 said:
ok i got that but shouldn't there be a (-1/2) out in front of the integral to account for the u substitution?
Yes, it was in my notes, but I neglected to put that in my post.
MasterWu77 said:
when i solve for the integral should i get

[(cos(49)-cos(4))* 2pi]

since the there isn't originally a [tex]\theta[/tex] so by taking the integral with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] a [tex]\theta[/tex] should appear which can be bounded by the 2pi and 0
Yes, but you need to put in the missing (-1/2). If you evaluate your answer, remember that the numbers are real numbers (i.e., radians), not degrees.

ah ok i finally got the right answer! it turns out that the answer is negative but i didn't think that was possible since we're computing an area so wouldn't the answer be a positive number?

No, you're not computing the area of the region R. If you were, the integrand would be 1, not sin(x^2 + y^2). A lot of the surface z = sin(x^2 + y^2) must lie below the x-y plane for the integral to come out negative.

o ok that makes sense! thank you very much for helping me with this problem and helping me to understand the concept better :smile:

1. What is multi-variable integration with polar coordination?

Multi-variable integration with polar coordination is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals in two or more variables that are expressed in terms of polar coordinates. It involves converting the original Cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates and then integrating with respect to the polar variables.

2. How is multi-variable integration with polar coordination different from regular integration?

Multi-variable integration with polar coordination is different from regular integration because it takes into account the curvature of the coordinate system. In polar coordinates, the variables are expressed in terms of radius and angle, rather than the x and y axes used in Cartesian coordinates.

3. What are the benefits of using polar coordinates in multi-variable integration?

Using polar coordinates in multi-variable integration can make the problem easier to solve, as it simplifies the integrand and allows for symmetrical boundaries. It also allows for more efficient computation when dealing with circular or symmetric regions.

4. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the following equations:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan (y/x)
where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates in multi-variable integration?

Yes, there are some limitations to using polar coordinates in multi-variable integration. It is not suitable for all types of problems, particularly those with complex boundaries or non-symmetric regions. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other coordinate systems or techniques for integration.