What is the meaning of a ket in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter kweierstrass
  • Start date
In summary, the "one-ket notation" is a way of referring to a column vector in complex separable Hilbert space. It is written as |\psi\rangle, where |\psi\rangle is a ket and c is the imaginary unit.
kweierstrass
What is meant when writing a "one-ket" like this |1> ?

Physics news on Phys.org
That usually means the principle quantum number is 1.

It depends on the system; for the one-dim. harmonic oscillator it means the first excited state |1> above the ground state |0>.

Maybe I should have meantioned the whole context, I now realize that it means the eigenket coresponding to the eigenvalue 1 in my specific problem. Thanks anyway

My understanding is that it is often an abstract way of referring to the n=1 basis vector. This is similar to what someone wrote above.

The basis vectors must be implicitly defined, and then |n> refers to the nth basis vector. Unfortunately I am not clear on exactly where and how the |n> basis vectors are typically defined. I often see the notation |1> without it being clear what the ACTUAL eigenfunctions being referred to are. In that type of situation, I guess it is simply an abstraction; and index referring to a real function.

I think this explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation#Most_common_use:_Quantum_mechanics"

In quantum mechanics, the state of a physical system is identified with a ray in a complex separable Hilbert space, [tex]\mathcal{H}[/tex], or, equivalently, by a point in the projective Hilbert space of the system. Each vector in the ray is called a "ket" and written as [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex], which would be read as "ket psi". (The [tex]\psi\![/tex] can be replaced by any symbols, letters, numbers, or even words—whatever serves as a convenient label for the ket.) The ket can be viewed as a column vector and (given a basis for the Hilbert space) written out in components,

[tex]|\psi\rangle = [ c_0 \; c_1 \; c_2 \; \dots ] ^T, [/tex]

when the considered Hilbert space is finite-dimensional. In infinite-dimensional spaces there are infinitely many components and the ket may be written in complex function notation, by prepending it with a bra (see below). For example,

[tex]\langle x|\psi\rangle = \psi(x)\ = c e^{- ikx}.[/tex]

(:uhh: ... is it because English is not my native language ... but "infinite-dimensional spaces" and "prepending bra" makes me think of something "completely different" ... :smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a notational question?

A notational question is a type of question that is used in mathematical and scientific fields to express a concept or idea in a concise and standardized way. It typically involves using symbols, notation, or language that is commonly understood by those in the field.

What does |1> mean in notational questions?

The symbol |1> is commonly used in notational questions to represent a state vector, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It can also be used to represent a basis vector or a unit vector in linear algebra.

How is |1> different from |0> in notational questions?

In notational questions, |1> and |0> are often used to represent different states or conditions. For example, in quantum mechanics, |1> may represent an excited state while |0> represents a ground state. In linear algebra, |1> can represent a vector in one direction while |0> represents a vector in the opposite direction.

What is the significance of using |1> in notational questions?

The use of |1> in notational questions is significant because it allows for a more concise and universal representation of concepts and ideas. This allows for easier communication and understanding within the scientific community. Additionally, the use of this symbol in quantum mechanics has led to important discoveries and advancements in the field.

How are notational questions used in scientific research?

Notational questions are used extensively in scientific research to express and analyze complex concepts and data. They allow for a standardized and precise way of communicating ideas and findings, which is crucial in the scientific community. Notational questions are also used to formulate hypotheses, design experiments, and interpret results in various fields of science.