Kinematics one dimension. help

In summary, the cars will travel for approximately 6.32 seconds before Car A catches up with Car B. Car A will have traveled a distance of 95.47 meters and will be traveling at a speed of 37.65 m/s, while Car B will have traveled 100 meters and will be traveling at a speed of 30 m/s.
saiyajin822
kinematics one dimension. help!

hi I've had a lot of trouble with this problem and i hope someone can help me.

Car B starts from rest and accelerates at 2.00m/s^2 along a straight road. Car A starts from rest at the same instant 20.0 m behind car B and accelerates 3.00 m/s^2. How far must car A move in order to catch car B? What will be the speeds of car A and car B?

im pretty sure that the time is equal in both cases so t_a=t_b. but it is also asking for distance, and i don't see any equation that requires only acceleration and initial velocity. i have no idea where that 20 m behind goes to.

Can someone explain this problem to me and show me how to do it? I am very confused. :confused: Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok so far i got Da(distance of A)=20+Db and Db=1/2at^2. do u just plug in the values and set them equal?

nevermind i finally figured the problem out. but i have another one I am having trouble with.

Car B is moving at a constant speed of 25m/s along a straight road. Car A starts from rest and moves in the same direction when B is 20.0 m ahead. If A accelerates at a rate of 5 m/s^2, how far must it travel in order to catch B? How long will it take? How fast will A be traveling when it catches B?

Does constant speed mean initial velocity?
can someone explain to me how to do this?

thanks

Start by developing an equation for the speed of A relative to B (pretend B is stationary). Can you take it from there?

so i should take that car B has an acceleration of 0? I am still confused on what constant speed is - does that mean average velocity, final velocity, or initial velocity?

ok i counted the 25m/s as initial velocity and the acceleration 0 for car B. I set car A and B equal using the equation d=vi(t)+1/2(a)(t)^2.

so, 1/2(5)t^2=20+25t
then , 2.5(t)^2-25(t)-20=0 and use the quadratic formula? is that it?

I don't like using formulae. Think of a velocity-time graph. The line representing the movement of Car B will have a gradient of 2. The line representing the movement of Car A will have a gradient of 3. The distance moved by each car is the distance underneath each line.

When Car A catches up with Car B, it will have traveled the same amount of time as Car B, but it will have traversed an extra distance of 20m.

In the graph, because the area underneath each of the lines is a triangle, we can calculate

1/2 x t x 2t + 20 = (1/2 x t x 3t)
t^2 + 20 = 3/2t^2
20 = (t^2)/2
t^2 = 40
t = 6.32455532

1. What is kinematics one dimension?

Kinematics one dimension is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a single direction, without taking into account the causes of the motion such as forces and energy.

2. What are the basic concepts of kinematics one dimension?

The basic concepts of kinematics one dimension include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and time is the duration of the motion.

3. How is kinematics one dimension different from kinematics in multiple dimensions?

Kinematics one dimension only considers motion in a single direction, while kinematics in multiple dimensions takes into account motion in two or three dimensions. This means that in kinematics one dimension, only displacement, velocity, and acceleration in one direction are considered, while in multiple dimensions, there can be displacement, velocity, and acceleration in multiple directions.

4. What are the equations used in kinematics one dimension?

The equations used in kinematics one dimension include the equations of motion, such as the equations for displacement (Δx = xf - xi), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt = (vf - vi)/Δt), where xf and xi are the final and initial positions, and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, respectively.

5. How is kinematics one dimension used in real life?

Kinematics one dimension is used in various real-life applications, such as in navigation (e.g. GPS systems use kinematics equations to track an object's position), sports (e.g. calculating the speed of a ball in a baseball game), and transportation (e.g. determining the distance traveled and speed of a car in a road trip).