TI-89 Titanium Function Issues

In summary, the conversation discusses two issues the speaker is having with their TI-Titanium calculator. The first issue is that when typing the square root of 5, the answer appears as the symbol instead of the actual numerical value. The second issue is with solving a trigonometric function, where the result appears in radians instead of degrees. The solution is to change the settings to approximate results and be mindful of syntax.
brown.ty
Hello, I am new to the TI-Titanium and have run into a few rather simple obstacles that are keeping me from answering physics questions in the correct way.

First off, by typing:
\sqrt(5)
the answer comes out to:
=\sqrt(5)
as opposed to 2.2360...
(I believe this is a setting/mode issue)

Secondly, I have a simple trig function:
tanθ=2/1
to solve, I typed:
tan-1(2/1) as one would do and the result was:
(-90*(((tan-1(1/2)-pi)/90)-pi)/pi
Now this answer seems to be in radians, and so I changed the setting to degrees..still I get this same answer.
The actual textbook answer was:
θ=63.4°
Why is this happening?

If anyone could tell me what it is I have to do in order for my TI-89 to answer these problems in the way I'd like them to be answered I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try changing the option for results from exact to approximate and see if that works. TI calculators can be very picky when it comes to syntax so be careful about that too.

That worked! Thank you Skrambles!

1. How do I graph a function on the TI-89 Titanium?

To graph a function on the TI-89 Titanium, first press the "F1" key to access the "Y=" menu. Then, enter the function using the "X" key as the variable. Press "ENTER" to graph the function.

2. Why is my TI-89 Titanium not graphing my function correctly?

There could be a few reasons why your TI-89 Titanium is not graphing your function correctly. Make sure you have entered the function correctly, with the correct syntax. Also, check to see if the window settings are appropriate for the function you are graphing. Finally, check to see if your calculator is in the correct mode (function, polar, parametric, etc.) for the type of function you are graphing.

3. How do I find the zeros of a function on the TI-89 Titanium?

To find the zeros of a function on the TI-89 Titanium, press the "F2" key to access the "CALC" menu. Then, select option 2 for "zero" and enter the function. The calculator will then give you the x-coordinate of the zero.

4. Can I graph more than one function at a time on the TI-89 Titanium?

Yes, you can graph multiple functions at once on the TI-89 Titanium. Simply enter each function into the "Y=" menu and press "ENTER" after each one. The calculator will graph all the functions on the same graph.

5. How do I reset my TI-89 Titanium if it is not functioning properly?

To reset your TI-89 Titanium, press and hold the "2nd" key, then press and release the "left" and "right" arrows. Continue to hold the "2nd" key until the calculator turns on. This will reset the calculator to its default settings and may fix any issues you are experiencing with functions.