Calculating the Electric Potential at the Center of the Rectangle

• Thread starter kraigandrews
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Work
In summary, the figure shows three charges q1, q2, and q3 situated at corners of a rectangle of sides a = 15.0 cm and b = 6.0 cm. For q1 = 5.90 μC, q2 = -5.90 μC, and q3 = 1.60 μC, the electric potential at the center of the rectangle is 1.78×105 V. Moving q3 to infinity while q1 and q2 remain in their positions would expend all of the electric energy of the system. The electric potential energy between a pair of charges can be calculated using the equation U = kq1q2/r, where r is the distance between the charges
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

q3---a-----|
| |
| b
| |
q1---------q2

The figure shows three charges q1, q2 and q3 situated at corners of a rectangle of sides a = 15.0 cm and b = 6.0 cm.
For q1 = 5.90 μC, q2 = -5.90 μC, and q3 = 1.60 μC find the electric potential at the center of the rectangle.
V_center = 1.78×105 V

Continuing with the figure above, how much of the electric energy of the system would be expended in moving q3 to infinity while q1 and q2 remain in their positions?

Im at a loss as how to do this part, I have tried to find the field at the center with q3 no longer there and everytime it works out to be 0, so I am just not sure what to do here.

Homework Equations

V = kq/r
W = Vq

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the electric potential energy between a pair of charges?

using V=kq1/a + kq2/a = 0... or at least I think.

kraigandrews said:
using V=kq1/a + kq2/a = 0... or at least I think.
Don't mix up potential with potential energy.

See: Electric Potential Energy

ok so U = kq1q2/a... correct? Or should I use the center of the rectangle as the radius?

kraigandrews said:
ok so U = kq1q2/a... correct? Or should I use the center of the rectangle as the radius?
You should use the distance between the charges. What's the total PE of the system? How does that change when q3 is moved to infinity?

What is work expended moving a charge?

Work expended moving a charge refers to the energy needed to move an electric charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is a measure of the force exerted on the charge multiplied by the distance the charge is moved.

How is work expended moving a charge related to electric potential?

The work expended moving a charge is directly related to the electric potential difference between the two points in the electric field. The electric potential difference is the change in electric potential energy per unit charge, and work is the product of force and distance, so the two are inherently connected.

Is work expended moving a charge conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, work expended moving a charge is conserved. This means that the amount of work done on the charge is equal to the change in the electric potential energy of the charge.

How is the direction of work expended moving a charge determined?

The direction of work expended moving a charge is determined by the direction of the electric field. Work is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, not direction. However, the electric field has a direction, and the force exerted on the charge is in the same direction as the electric field. Therefore, the direction of the electric field determines the direction of the work.

What unit is used to measure work expended moving a charge?

The SI unit for work is the joule (J). However, when dealing with small charges, it is common to use the electron volt (eV) as the unit of work. One electron volt is equal to 1.6 x 10^-19 joules.