What is Hyper-Rayleigh and what is Hyper-Raman?

• Thread starter narra
  • Start date
In summary, Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman refer to different types of scattering off of particles that are much smaller than the wavelength of light. Hyper-Rayleigh involves frequency doubling, while Hyper-Raman involves hitting a sample with light at a certain frequency and creating light at a higher frequency. There is some uncertainty about the properties of Hyper-Rayleigh scattering, as it is unclear if it can produce a directional beam. The "hyper" in Hyper-Raman indicates that it is a second harmonic process.
narra
What is Hyper-Rayleigh and what is Hyper-Raman? Anyone know this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well rayleigh scattering is the scattering off of particles which are small compared to the wavelength of light. Hyper-rayleigh refers to frequency doubling off of such particles. I don't know all the details - for example, whether you can consider there to be a directional beam of second harmonic light with the same k-vector as the input. This is one thing I'm unclear on - people seem to say that the hyper rayleigh scattering is only diffuse, but I'm not 100% convinced.

I assume hyper-Raman just means that you hit the sample with light at w, and create light at 2w+wp, where wp is the phonon frequency. I think the hyper just implies that it's second harmonic, otherwise it's a normal raman process.

What is Hyper-Rayleigh?

Hyper-Rayleigh scattering is a nonlinear optical process in which a high-intensity light beam interacts with a material, causing the material to emit light at double the frequency of the incident light. This is known as second harmonic generation and is a useful tool for studying the properties of materials.

What is Hyper-Raman?

Hyper-Raman scattering is also a nonlinear optical process, but instead of emitting light at double the frequency, it emits light at a frequency that is slightly different from the incident light. This allows for the detection of low-frequency vibrations in molecules, which cannot be detected using traditional Raman spectroscopy.

What are the applications of Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman?

Both Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman scattering are useful techniques for studying the optical and vibrational properties of materials. They have applications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and biology, where the understanding of molecular structure and dynamics is crucial.

How do Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman differ from traditional linear spectroscopy techniques?

Traditional linear spectroscopy techniques, such as absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy, only measure the response of a material to the incident light at the same frequency. In contrast, Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman scattering allow for the detection of nonlinear responses and provide more information about the material's properties.

What are the advantages of using Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman in research?

Hyper-Rayleigh and Hyper-Raman scattering offer several advantages over traditional linear spectroscopy techniques. They can provide more detailed information about the structure and dynamics of materials, have higher sensitivity, and are not limited by the fluorescent properties of the material. Additionally, they can be used in real-time, making them valuable tools for studying dynamic processes in materials.