Expectation value for a superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-dependent expectation value of position for a wave function in an infinite potential well. It is determined that the wave function is time-independent if it is in a stationary state, but a linear combination of eigenstates with different energies will have a time-dependent phase factor. The conversation then evaluates an integral and concludes that the oscillating component disappears due to it being multiplied by a zero integral.
T-7

Homework Statement

[tex]
u(x) = \sqrt{\frac{8}{5}}\left(\frac{3}{4}u_{1}(x)-\frac{1}{4}u_{3}(x)\right)
[/tex]

Determine the time-dependent expectation value of position of this wave function (the particle is in an infinite potential well between x = 0 and x = a).

The Attempt at a Solution

I make it a/2, ie. that the expectation value for this wave function is time-independent - we always expect it at the centre of the well. Does that seem reasonable for that superposition?

On integrating, I end up with three integrals, two of which amount to just the expectation values of the first and third eigenfunction times their respective probabilities (so I say [9/10]*[a/2] + [1/10]*[a/2], without bothering to unpack them) , and one integral which involves the product of u1 and u3 with x times a cosine component. This I evaluate as 0. Hence we have just a/2.

Does that seems stupid to anyone?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
T-7 said:
I make it a/2, ie. that the expectation value for this wave function is time-independent - we always expect it at the centre of the well. Does that seem reasonable for that superposition?

The wavefunction is supposed to represent the state of a physical system. Its time-dependence means the observable physical properties change with time. Wouldn't it be rather weird if you could change that by simply shifting your choice of axes?

The wavefunction is only time independent if it is in a stationary state. That is, an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian. (I guess that's what the u_i(x)'s stand for). Actually, a stationary state will pick up a time dependent phase-factor exp(-iwt), where the angular frequenty depends on the energy of the eigenstate.
When you have a linear combination of eigenstates, each with different energy, each term will pick up a different phase factor and it's not a stationary state anymore.

So what is the time dependence of u(x)?

Galileo said:
The wavefunction is supposed to represent the state of a physical system. Its time-dependence means the observable physical properties change with time. Wouldn't it be rather weird if you could change that by simply shifting your choice of axes?

The wavefunction is only time independent if it is in a stationary state. That is, an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian. (I guess that's what the u_i(x)'s stand for). Actually, a stationary state will pick up a time dependent phase-factor exp(-iwt), where the angular frequenty depends on the energy of the eigenstate.
When you have a linear combination of eigenstates, each with different energy, each term will pick up a different phase factor and it's not a stationary state anymore.

So what is the time dependence of u(x)?

I expected time-dependence too for a superposition. But I still seem to be evaluating the relevant integral as zero:

<x> = (a/10).(a/2) + (1/10).(a/2) - (3/10).2cos[tex]\left(\frac{E_{3}-E_{1}}{\hbar}.t\right)\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}u1.x.u3.x dx[/tex]

T-7 said:
I expected time-dependence too for a superposition. But I still seem to be evaluating the relevant integral as zero:

<x> = (a/10).(a/2) + (1/10).(a/2) - (3/10).2cos[tex]\left(\frac{E_{3}-E_{1}}{\hbar}.t\right)\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}u1.x.u3.x dx[/tex]

Did you integrate from minus infinity to plus infinity or from 0 to a? You need to do it from 0 to a!

nrqed said:
Did you integrate from minus infinity to plus infinity or from 0 to a? You need to do it from 0 to a!

Nope. From 0 to a. Tried it with Maple too.

The integral of sin(Pi*x/a) * x * (sin3*Pi*x/a) from 0 to a is zero.

int(sin(Pi*x/a)*x*sin(3*Pi*x/a),x=0..a);
ans: 0

If it was eigenfunction 1 with eigenfunction 4, say, it would be a different matter.

int(sin(Pi*x/a)*x*sin(4*Pi*x/a),x=0..a);
ans: (16a^2)/(-225*Pi^2)

Thinking about it, simply superimposing 1 and 3 does not create a net 'bulge' on either side of a/2 as it does with 1 and 2, say. Try drawing it.

The oscillating component seems to vanish because it is multiplying a zero integral.

Last edited:
Well, it looks good then.

T-7 said:
Nope. From 0 to a. Tried it with Maple too.

The integral of sin(Pi*x/a) * x * (sin3*Pi*x/a) from 0 to a is zero.

int(sin(Pi*x/a)*x*sin(3*Pi*x/a),x=0..a);
ans: 0

If it was eigenfunction 1 with eigenfunction 4, say, it would be a different matter.

int(sin(Pi*x/a)*x*sin(4*Pi*x/a),x=0..a);
ans: (16a^2)/(-225*Pi^2)

Thinking about it, simply superimposing 1 and 3 does not create a net 'bulge' on either side of a/2 as it does with 1 and 2, say. Try drawing it.

The oscillating component seems to vanish because it is multiplying a zero integral.

Oh, I did not notice it was u1 and u3! Of course it's zero (for some reason I thought it was u1 and u2). It's clear that it's zero since it's odd with respect to the center of the well, as you say. <x> is zero whenever the complete wave is a sum of two wavefunctions with index differing by an even number.

1. What is the concept of expectation value for a superposition?

The expectation value for a superposition is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents the average result of a measurement on a quantum system in a specific state. It is a combination of the probabilities of all possible outcomes of the measurement, weighted by their corresponding probabilities.

2. How is the expectation value for a superposition calculated?

The expectation value for a superposition is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each possible measurement outcome and its corresponding probability. This can be represented mathematically as Σi ci*Pi, where ci is the coefficient of the state in the superposition and Pi is the probability of measuring that particular state.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value for a superposition in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value for a superposition is significant because it represents the most likely outcome of a measurement on a quantum system. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and is a crucial concept in understanding the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

4. Can the expectation value for a superposition be negative?

Yes, the expectation value for a superposition can be negative. This means that the most likely outcome of a measurement on a quantum system is a negative value. This is a common occurrence in quantum mechanics and does not violate any physical laws.

5. How does the expectation value for a superposition relate to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value for a superposition is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the average outcome of a measurement on a quantum system. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. The expectation value for a superposition takes into account this uncertainty and provides a more accurate representation of the system's behavior.