Is My Matrix Calculation Correct for Composite Reflections in Linear Algebra?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the standard matrix of the transformation T is given by:\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & -1\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0 & -1\\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Find the standard matrix of T

[tex]T: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex] first reflects points through the horizontal x1 axis and then reflects points through the line x2 = x1

The Attempt at a Solution

I almost always have to look at my book to remind myself what the standard matrix transformation for each transformation is

So I did

e1 becomes (which I will use [tex]\to[/tex]) [tex]\to[/tex] e1 (which doesn't change [tex]\to[/tex] e2

That's column one. Also I am using David Lay's book, so I don't know words like "nullspace", "basis", etc...

[tex]e_2 \to -e_2 \to -(e_1)[/tex]

Then I get

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
0 & -1\\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now my question is, am I right about the [tex]-(e_1)[/tex]? I added brackets on purpose

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right. Note that this matrix, with both transformations, is the product of two matrices:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Let's call these matrices A and B, where A reflects across the line y = x (i.e., it switches the x and y coordinates) and B reflects across the x-axis.

The transformation that reflects across the x-axis and then reflects across the line y = x, can be expressed as the product of A and B, in that order. The expression ABv is evaluated as A(Bv), where Bv reflects v across the x-axis, and then A reflects the vector Bv across the line y = x.

1. How do I know if my method is correct?

The best way to determine if your method is correct is to check your work step by step. Make sure you are following all the necessary rules and procedures for your specific experiment or problem. You can also ask a fellow scientist or mentor to review your method and provide feedback.

2. Is there a specific format or structure to follow for a correct method?

While there may be general guidelines to follow, there is no one specific format or structure for a correct method. The important thing is that your method is clear, logical, and reproducible. It should also include all the necessary steps and variables.

3. What if my method differs from others in my field?

It is common for methods to vary among scientists in the same field, as different approaches may yield similar results. As long as your method is well-researched and supported by evidence, it can be considered valid. However, it is always a good idea to discuss and compare methods with other scientists to ensure accuracy and validity.

4. Can I make changes to my method after obtaining the correct answer?

Yes, you can make changes to your method after obtaining the correct answer. In fact, this is often a crucial part of the scientific process. If you find a more efficient or accurate way to achieve the same result, it is important to document and discuss these changes in your research.

5. How do I ensure that my method is replicable?

To ensure that your method is replicable, it is important to carefully document your procedures and variables. This will allow other scientists to follow your method and obtain similar results. Additionally, it is helpful to provide detailed descriptions and diagrams of your equipment and setup. Replicability is a key aspect of scientific research and is essential for verification and validation.