Display a cylindrical surface in 3D using gnuplot

In summary, The conversation is about using gnuplot to display a cylindrical surface in 3D, specifically a vertical plane. The suggested solution is to use the "splot" command with parametric expressions for the coordinates.
gnome
I'm just beginning to learn to use gnuplot & can't figure out how to display a cylindrical surface in 3D.

Even a simple one like x2 + y2 = 1

Oh, and how about a vertical plane?

Anybody know how to do this?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
try using the splot command.

for example:

gnuplot> splot -x**3 -y

gnuplot> splot -x**3 -y
??

Thanks, dduardo, but while z = x**3 -y is a surface, it's not a vertical surface & certainly not a cylinder.

I know about the splot command -- I just can't think of a gnuplot-valid expression for a vertical plane or cylinder.

Any ideas about that specifically?

Ah...

If anyone's interested, I found that this can be done by using the "set parametric" command & then giving it parametric expressions for the x, y & z coordinates.

1. How do I plot a cylindrical surface in 3D using gnuplot?

To plot a cylindrical surface in 3D using gnuplot, you can use the command "splot 'file.dat' with pm3d". This will create a 3D surface plot of the data in the file "file.dat". Make sure to have the data in the correct format, with the first column representing the x-coordinate, second column representing the y-coordinate, and third column representing the z-coordinate.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the cylindrical surface plot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the cylindrical surface plot by using various options in the gnuplot command. For example, you can change the color of the surface, add a contour plot, and adjust the lighting and viewing angle. Refer to the gnuplot documentation for a list of available options and their usage.

3. How do I add labels and axes to my 3D plot?

To add labels and axes to your 3D plot, you can use the "set xlabel", "set ylabel", and "set zlabel" commands in gnuplot. These commands allow you to specify the label text and font properties. You can also use the "set xtics", "set ytics", and "set ztics" commands to customize the tick marks on each axis.

4. Is it possible to add a legend to a cylindrical surface plot in gnuplot?

Yes, it is possible to add a legend to a cylindrical surface plot in gnuplot. You can use the "set key" command to create a legend and specify its position and format. Make sure to also use the "title" option when plotting multiple surfaces to label each surface in the legend.

5. Can I export the 3D plot as an image or vector file?

Yes, you can export the 3D plot as an image or vector file in gnuplot. Use the "set terminal" command to specify the desired output format, such as png, pdf, or eps. Then, use the "set output" command to save the plot to a file. Make sure to use the "set size" command to adjust the size of the output image or vector file.